The Gods are always with you witch.

By Electro, in 'Latin Beginners', Feb 10, 2018.

1. Electro New Member

Hey everyone!

I'm new here and judging by the pinned posts although this is a translation post it should go here since I'd like people to also explain the grammar and how they got their translation? If I've posted in the wrong place I'm sorry! Just a heads up that the books I'm using are the Collin's Latin: Dictionary and Grammar and Gwynne's Latin by N. M. Gwynne (which I really recommend by the way!).

So far I've got:
    - Gods is the subject (so it's nominative) and plural so Gods is Dei (is the ei here a diphthong?).
    - Witch (benevolent) is the object but since the witch is being addressed by the speaker it's in the vocative so it is saga.
    - Always is semper (but I'm not sure about its grammar?).
    - Articles don't exist in Latin so there is no need for "The".
    - You is tu but it's usually conjugated.
    - Word order in Latin is usually subject-object-verb but changes often in poetry. But I'm not sure about word order for longer sentences like this one?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

:)
  2. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    Dei semper tecum, venefica.
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    venefica seems more negative in sense (since it can literally be "a poison-maker"), so maybe there's a better choice (perhaps saga but that seems more soothsayer-ish.)
  4. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    I chose venefica for that reason actually, the phrase in English struck me as hostile. But now I'm not sure.