The last enemy to be defeated is Death.

By Yamoto07, in 'English to Latin Translation', Feb 12, 2012.

1. Yamoto07 New Member

This phrase will be used as part of a combination tattoo. I will have the symbol for the Deathly Hallows with this phrase written in Tengwar underneath it. The phrase comes from the Harry Potter series of books, the Tengwar script comes from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have been reading both sets for as long as I could remember so I figured a combination would be nice.

The meaning of this phrase comes from the story of the Deathly Hallows. In short it means, to me, that no matter what you go through in life, eventually we all have to face Death. One must overcome the fear of Death because it is inevitable, thus one "defeats" Death's hold on us.

Linking to wiki for the "wiki-notes" version of the story for those interested: The Tale of the Three Brothers - WikiNotes
    A link to the actual story if anyone is further curious:
    The Tale of the Three Brothers - Full

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
  2. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    J.K. has got inspired by a real quotation from the Bible. (source: wiki)

In Latin Bible (i.e. Vulgata - The Vulgate), the quotation is:

I.Corinthians 15:26
    .....novissima autem inimica destruetur mors......
    NOVISSIMA·AVTEM·INIMICA·DESTRVETVR·MORS

That's the original and it holds both authority of being used as a part of the Bible and for you of having been used by J.K.

(Shorter version would do without that "autem" - you don't really see it in the English translation of the phrase itself, it means something like "but/however")

Edit: Can't provide you with a combination though....
  3. Yamoto07 New Member

That actually works out perfectly! Thank you so much!
  4. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    No problem... if you had then a photo of that tattoo it wouldn't be bad also 8) (for me as former HP reader)
  5. Yamoto07 New Member

This is the idea I'm working with currently. I used the translation you provided me and inscribed it using the Tengwa script. I really do appreciate your help! When I get it done I'll try to post another picture :D Thanks again!
    [IMG]
  6. Godmy Sun monkey

• Civis Illustris
    Wow... looks charming :p I'm really interested about the outcome!
  7. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Just out of curiosity, what language is that?
  8. Yamoto07 New Member

The script is Tengwar. It's the elvish script from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It reads exactly how Godmy translated that phrase for me.
  9. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    A Greek phrase, used in Harry Potter in English, translated into Latin, transliterated into the Elvish from The Lord of the Rings, of course. He should now get that marked onto a sarcophagus with cuneiform wedges by a Chinese calligrapher, whilst intoning a prayer from Twilight in Esperanto, for maximum consistency.
  10. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    LOL
  11. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    It also needs a biography in pre-Columbian Nahuatl (essentially Aztec picture-writing) written by pre-Columbian Incans (who also do not have a writing system) on that sarcophagus as well for consistency.
  12. Yamoto07 New Member

Lol, ouch! Esperanto is a good idea though! :D ONWARD!
  13. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Grabbing someone else’s joke and then taking it a liiiiittle too far is one of those signs of your Asperger’s, John.

Only I can get away with that sort of thing. ;)

Fusion.jpg