The time will soon come when you must leave.

By LenCabral, in 'English to Latin Translation', May 17, 2018.

1. LenCabral Member

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how you might translate a clause like this. My try was :

tempus mox veniet cum abire debeas.

Two questions: 1) Is this right? 2) Is there a more natural way of doing it?

Thanks!
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Probably quo abire tibi necesse erit ("at which (time) it will be necessary for you to leave") is more natural. I'm not sure if "cum" can be used in this way.
  3. Mafalda Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Tempus mox venit cum abeundus eris. What do you think, Dantius?
  4. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    abeundus eris doesn't make sense, as that construction is passive. That literally means "when you will have to be gone away". With intransitive verbs you need to do the passive periphrastic impersonally like abeundum tibi erit.

I did some looking up and it turns out, contrary to what I said before, cum can be used in this way, with a subjunctive like aderit tempus, cum sese etiam ipse oderit in Plautus (it could also be indicative; I'm not sure), or Quod enim tempus erit umquam cum vestrorum in nos beneficiorum memoria ac fama moriatur? from Cicero, where it's unambiguously subjunctive.
    Godmy likes this.