1. Rustico33 New Member

Looking to expand our rescue efforts and open a dog sanctuary. I'm a professional dog trainer and rehabiltate and place behaviorally challenged dogs into homes. We would like to open a sanctuary for those that just may never fit in to average homes, as at least with us they are understood and well cared for.

I'm looking for a relatively easy to pronounce Latin name for the sanctuary that embodies the feel and meaning of this, along the lines of:

The True Dog
    The Real Dog
    The Understood Dog

With the final name of the Sanctuary being just that, the English word Sanctuary, so the general public will have an idea of what we do.

Would also consider something like Fire Dog or Soulful Dog, something that implicates we deal with the fiesty, the courageous, the ones with back bones, the complicated, the strong, the ones who don't "need" humans.

Can anyone help? Would be so greatly appreciated!

Perhaps Canis Ignis?
  2. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    "The true/real dog": Canis verus.
    "Fire dog:" Canis ignis (literally, "dog of fire").
    "Soulful (as in "feisty") dog": Canis animosus.

I don't think "understood dog" would work well in Latin.
  3. Rustico33 New Member

Thank you so much for the help!
  4. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    You can't have a genitive of quality in Latin without an adjective, though. I have a feeling that someone will come along and argue that it's some other sort of genitive, but I don't know how persuasive they'll be.
  5. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    One could probably make an argument for the genitive, but "fiery dog" might actually work better (and conveys the OP's intent more precisely, I think).

"Fiery dog" = Canis igneus.
  6. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    How?
  7. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

The OP didn't specify what sort of genitive it was. Maybe it was a dog that "belongs to" fire somehow (possessive genitive). Maybe it was a dog made out of fire (genitive of material).
  8. Rustico33 New Member

Really like Canis Igneus. Thanks!