The world's most beautiful girl

By Hermes Trismegistus, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 10, 2017.

1. Hermes Trismegistus Member

Pulcherrima puella mundi?
    Pulcherrima puella ex toto mundo?
    Pulcherrima puella in mundo?

What I'd like to know is how to use superlatives in latin in that way?
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Pulcherrima in terris puella would be more classical.
    Phai Hui Vryj likes this.
  3. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    I'd have thought pulcherrima omnium [puellarum], possibly reinforced with una, would be more in spirit with the literal-minded Romans. Pliny has Ergo in toto orbe, quacumque caeli convexitas vergit, pulcherrima omnium est iis rebus quae merito principatum naturae optinent Italia, but there he's comparing it with other geographical locations, which is rather different.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    There are certainly several possible ways of expressing a similar idea. Another one is the genitive rerum, though that may be more of a poetic construction:
    However, with superlative + in terris, I wasn't just thoughtlessly calquing the English equivalent "in the world"; I know the construction exists in Latin. E.g. Livy has duo sanctissima in terris templa and potentissima in terris gens. The OLD says: "in terris (-a), in the world, in existence; (esp. as an intensive phrase after superls. etc." The "etc." are constructions like nemo in terris me est miserior and the like.
  5. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    I wouldn't dream of implying that you were.
  6. Hermes Trismegistus Member

Puella pulcherrima orbis terrarrum.
    Puella pulcherrima in toto orbe terrarrum.
    Pulcherrima in terris puella.
  7. Adrian LEO VETERANUS

• Civis Illustris
    I think omnium puellarum pulcherrima (as mentioned earlier by Etaoin) is decently accurate and classical to convey this expression.
    Last edited by Adrian, Oct 7, 2017