This too shall pass

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 28, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

hey guys im new (just found this place!), ive been trying for a couple weeks to get a full translation for the phrase:

"this too shall pass away"

all i can find are different translations for "this too shall pass" but i would really need the "away" in there too.

heres what i have so far.. i have no idea if any of this is remotely correct:

“This too shall pass” in Latin:

“Et hoc transibit”

or :

"Hoc quoque transibit"

This = HOC
    too = ET (or QUOQUE)
    shall pass =TRANSIBIT

(shall pass?? = vadum obduco?
    pass away?? = discedo? transeo? evenio?)

i found the above translations somewhere online... but when i try to look up "transibit" in latin i get no results in english so i am not sure if that is even a correct word?

and for pass away i dont really want the translation of literal death or deceased but pass away as moving past/through.

please help! thanks ahead of time :)

ps--- very sorry if this phrase has been previously asked about a lot!
  2. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    Chicago, IL
    The verb in these short sentences--transibit--literally means "(it) will go across". It is used quite commonly to mean "pass away" in the sense I think you are looking for (e.g. 1 John 2:17).

The transeo you found is the present-tense form of this verb; transibit is the form when using future tense, i.e. "will pass away". To summarize, I think the two sentences you have translate the phrase quite well.

Incidentally, I was surprised to learn that the phrase "this too shall pass" is not from the Bible (at least it's not in the KJV, and I can't find anything close in the NIV, though I didn't check that hard). I'd always thought it was, though I admit I can't recall why. Anyone know where this phrase came from?
  3. outofexile New Member

4. Anonymous Guest

would anyone be so kind as to help me translate the phrase

"this too, shall pass" into latin.

ive tried translating it myself but i do not want it to be wrong as i want to get it tattooed.

thank you so much!!! :)
  5. Fulgor Laculus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    The literal translation is Hoc quoque praeteribit.
    Or something a bit more colorful, such as: Praeteritis hoc quoque addetur ('this too shall be addd to the past').
  6. natcrossley New Member

For another tattoo, is anyone able to translate the following:

'This too shall pass'

7. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    I think this came up before.
    not sure though
  8. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    When this was discussed before (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12050) we came up with 'hoc quoque transibit', but the discussion got diverted into other languages before we really fine-tuned it. Looking at it again, I'm not too sure about 'transibit', which is a bit like 'this too shall pass by' (that verb gives us the word 'transitory') -- it just about works, but isn't quite the thing...

The Latin for 'the past' is 'praeterita', and on the grounds that 'this too shall pass' means, more or less, 'this too shall end up being in the past', I'd recommend using the verb praetereo, which would give

hoc quoque praeteribit
    with the following possible alternatives, similar enough in meaning that it would come down to which one looks, subjectively, prettiest
    haec quoque praeteribunt
    praeteribit et hoc
    praeteribunt et haec
    hoc quoque praeteriturum
    praeteriturum et hoc
    haec quoque praeteritura
    praeteritura et haec

This morning I lean, for no particular reason, towards 'haec quoque praeteritura'
  9. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    That would work if it were things, plural. But maybe that's just a matter of taste and style?
    I lean towards praeteribit et hoc.
  10. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Not that I mind, but Latin often uses the plural in such cases. 'hoc' is generally a single, discrete thing; 'haec' is 'this collection of things which go to make up the present circumstances'. It's by no means an absolute rule: I merely observe that Latin is more inclined to use the generalising plural than English is. "These too shall pass"? English wants to know, "these what?"

quae cum ita sint: 'since these are so'??

Though I was only attempting to save space, I feel bad that I didn't mention that the 'et hoc' or 'et haec' could also come at the beginning of the phrase.
  11. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    It would be more elegant at the beginning, yes. After all, the idea here is one of inclusivity in the word too, that even this shall pass. So either et hoc praeteribit or et haec praeteribunt. It's all a matter of taste, though.
  12. natcrossley New Member

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated!
  13. socratidion Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    For future reference, I think 'transeo' would have been fine. This from Tacitus, where Valens puts the case for deposing the 73-year-old emperor Galba:
    male fidas provincias, precarium seni imperium et brevi transiturum

= <Valens made the point that> the provinces were not loyal, and an old man's imperial rule was precarious (=dependent on the support of others) and would shortly pass
  14. Brookerbbnsn New Member

Im trying to get the proper translation for "this too shall pass" for a tattoo. Im finding so many diffrent ways to write it and dont know which is correct. So far I have found....

-Et hoc transierit
    -Et hoc transibit
    -Hoc etiam transibit

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you
  15. Pacis puella grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris

Et hoc transibit and hoc etiam transibit are grammatically correct - though the latter may translate more accurately as "even this shall pass". Et hoc transierit = this too will have passed.

There's another way to put it: hoc quoque transibit.

Or even: hoc quoque transiturum = this too shall pass (implying that it is bound to pass).
    Last edited by Pacis puella, Nov 10, 2012
  16. Brookerbbnsn New Member

Thoughts on "et hoc praeterbit"?(may have spelled that wrong). There are so many options. Its going on my skin so I just want to be 100 percent sure.
  17. Pacis puella grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, this is even better actually. (You just missed one letter.)

Hoc quoque praeteribit.
    Et hoc praeteribit.
    Hoc quoque praeteriturum.
  18. Brookerbbnsn New Member

I think im going to go with "hoc quoque praeteriturum" Thank you so much for the help.
  19. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    Manus Correctrix likes this.
  20. Pacis puella grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Isn't praeterire better than transire to say that something will pass away completely, be made part of the past?