Time heals all wounds. All wounds turn to scars. Scars remind us we live on borrowed time.

By janmascarina, in 'English to Latin Translation', Nov 6, 2012.

1. janmascarina New Member

Hey all. First, just wanna thank everyone contributing on this forum. I've been deliberating on a tattoo for a long time, and I thought no other language but latin could do justice to what I had in mind.

Ok, basically, trying to make a "chain" of words showing whatever goes around comes around. I was diagnosed with terminal illness a year ago, and I had to undergo several operations to get through that, those operations left scars. This tattoo will go around my chest to my back, and link back up like a chain/rosary hanging off me, as a reminder to myself to be thankful for each living day I've got, and also cosmetically go over and lightly mask some keloids that have formed..

I actually shortened the phrase up top to be able to fit into the text box, but I'm hoping you get the message I'm trying to convey, which is basically the cycle depicted in words.
    time heals all wounds >
    all wounds turn to scar >
    scars exist to remind us we live on borrowed time / are mortal >

Any set of translation close, or depicting the phrase will suffice:
    Time heals all wounds. All wounds turn to scars. Scars remind us of our mortality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to your responses.
  2. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
  3. janmascarina New Member

That helps with the first part of the translation. What about the other 2 parts? Regards.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hello, I would say:

Tempus omnia vulnera sanat. Omnia vulnera fiunt cicatrices. Cicatrices adsunt ut memores simus tempus nobis modo commodatum esse.
    Time heals all wounds. All wounds turn to scars. Scars are there for us to remember that time was only lent to us.

Or, other possibbility for the last line:

Cicatrices adsunt ut memores simus nos mortales esse.
    Scars ar there for us to remember that we are mortals.

Or

Cicatrices adsunt ut memores simus tempus vitae nostrae alienum esse.
    Scars are there for us to remember that the time of our life is borrowed/not ours.

Please wait for further advice on this.
    Last edited by Pacis puella, Nov 7, 2012
  5. janmascarina New Member

Thanks for that. The first one looks great:
    "Tempus omnia vulnera sanat. Omnia vulnera fiunt cicatrices. Cicatrices adsunt ut memores simus tempus nobis modo commodatum esse."

Anyone can concur with the phrasing and wording?
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    On second thoughts, maybe better with tantummodo instead of modo (which could be interpreted in a different way).
  7. janmascarina New Member

So...
    "Tempus omnia vulnera sanat. Omnia vulnera fiunt cicatrices. Cicatrices adsunt ut memores simus tempus nobis tamtumodo commodatum esse."

Thoughts?
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    tamtumodo tantummodo
  9. Kosmokrator Active Member

NONNE Cum omnes morituri simus nos cicatrices monent ut submissius nos geramus? Quid enim attinet uni sententiae, alteras duas accedere?
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    This is nice, but less close to the English. I translate just in case, maybe Janmascarina will like it:

As we are all bound to die, scars remind us to behave more humbly/moderately.

PS: When you make propositions you should translate them, OP's can't guess, they don't know Latin...

Good idea to use monere, though. So apart from this:

Tempus omnia vulnera sanat. Omnia vulnera fiunt cicatrices. Cicatrices adsunt ut memores simus tempus nobis tamtumodo commodatum esse.

It could also be nice like this:

Tempus omnia vulnera sanat. Omnia vulnera fiunt cicatrices. Cicatrices adsunt ut nos moneant tempus nobis tamtumodo commodatum esse.
    Last edited by Pacis puella, Nov 9, 2012
    Nylchi likes this.