1. Anonymous Guest

I am looking to have a tattoo done in latin. The quote is "Time tries truth." However, before I have something drafted I was hoping to have the correct format in latin, rather than one of these random latin translators online.

Please help, it would be much appreciated!
  2. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    Re: Tattoo question for all!

I'll suggest: Tempus experitur verum "Time tries the truth [i.e. what is true]"
    or Tempus experitur veritatem "Time tries the truth [i.e. truthfulness]"
  3. Decimvs Aedilis

• Aedilis
    Re: Tattoo question for all!

Do you mean that time "tries" truth in the sense that it "samples" it, or "experiments" with it?

OR

Do you mean that over a period of time, that which was considered to be true starts to break down......so more like "time wears away truth" or "time erodes truth."

As far as I know, and Imber knows way better than I do, but I think that the way that Imber put it just means "try" in the sense of sample, test, try, experiment with. If you're looking for something that means closer to the latter example I gave, like time destroys truth or wears it down, then you would need a different verb. I don't know what that verb would be, but I would bet my savings that Imber does. :)
  4. jth36 New Member

Thomas Moore, an Anglican clerical used the phrase to explain that in the end all rests with God. However, I have been struggling to find a thorough translation online, and I hate to pay almost $100 for a professional service.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    -Cheers.
  5. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Re: Looking to translate "Time tries truth" into Latin!

Here goes (note that I am a novice in translating, hence my service would be provided for free and keep your $100):
    Tempus temptat veritatem

Please wait for others to reply, since I cannot guarantee that my translation is correct.
  6. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor

What meaning are you trying to bring out with 'try'?
    If you mean wears away at, you might want something like terit rather than temptat
    If you mean wearies, perhaps something like fatigat.
    If you mean tests for truth, maybe decernit.
  7. jth36 New Member

In this case I was trying for "tests" truth. Is the previous translation correct with time and truth? I was hoping to use "veritas" for truth and "aetas" for time, but I'm not sure if they have proper agreement together.
  8. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

Using Cinefactus' suggestions, tempus decernit veritatem.
  9. jth36 New Member

Is it possible to get any other confirmations on this translation? I only ask because I am looking to construct a mural at the local community center. Obviously I am looking for the best fit. Thanks!
  10. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Well, it's a difficult translation, to be quite honest. The way the motto is expressed in English seems a bit too modern and relativistic to be translated literally into Latin. A Roman would say that the truth is the truth, so there's little point to trying or testing it. In other words, time doesn't test the truth so much as it tests all things to determine the truth or falsity of each one. Therefore a literal translation such as tempus tentat veritatem, where tentat literally means "to try, put to the test", just doesn't sound quite right in Latin.

There are other ways to express the same concept, of course. What the others have suggested, tempus decernit veritatem, literally means "time determines the truth". You might also say tempus confirmat veritatem "time confirms/validates the truth" or tempus approbo veritatem "time demonstrates/proves/establishes the truth". Or perhaps something like vera et falsa tempus discernit "time distinguishes what is true from what is false."
  11. jth36 New Member

"Confirms/validates truth" could work well.

A friend of mine is a currently studying latin, and has commented to me to simply translate "time tries truth" literally, word by word, and then simply piece it together. She mentioned that word order is not an issue in the language. Is this entirely false?
  12. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor

This usually give gibberish.

In this sentence it will not change the literal meaning, however it will change the emphasis.
  13. scrabulista Consul

• Consul

http://www.thomasmorestudies.org/quotes.html

"Supplicatio animarum" gets a few hits...That could mean there was a Latin translation of the work....or would they have simply translated the English titles into Latin?
  14. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

What I wrote as approbo above should of course be approbat.

You'd think so, but I can't find anything online. He wrote Utopia in Latin, after all.
  15. jth36 New Member

Soo, does this mean I simply throw in the towel on the final result? Not sure how to go about this now...
  16. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor

I think that any of the suggestions discussed by Imber Ranae would be perfectly acceptable.
  17. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
  18. jth36 New Member

Each comment has been greatly appreciated. By all means, I have been looking for a meaning that relates to time actually trying truth or "testing" it. As life transpires, only time is able to truly prove the truth, whether that be of love or any other memory.

I believe the previous mentioned "validate" truth could work, but I am not positive.

Tempus decernit veritatem???
  19. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

Yessss
  20. jth36 New Member

An additional suggestion has been: "vicis exertus verum?"

Any thoughts?