To England's Warring Fields.

By Hawkwood, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Jan 11, 2019.

1. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    More for my own enjoyment and practice and maybe as an ongoing project. I've read on a fair few of the battles in england and find the firsthand accounts of individual exploits to be quite interesting.

The fruit is ripe and the harvest plentiful so I'll start.
  2. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    CU_SJ_125.jpg

Lucius Cary (1610–1643), 2nd Viscount Falkland.

At the Siege of Gloucester in August of 1643 Falkland caused much brow-raising and received great praise. Like a bloody Mars he fought with raging courage, deliberately putting himself in grave danger. Peers began alluding to his manic and disturbed behaviour as by now, according to his friend Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon, Falkland had grown disillusioned and melancholic with the ongoing war and its inability to resolve and conclude.

By the twentieth of September at the first battle of Newbury on seeing a gap in a hedge, he charged alone into a wall of parliamentary musket and was killed instantly. Companion, Bulstrode Whitelock, felt he was searching for a death on the battlefield. Another, philosopher and antiquarist John Aubrey, thought his disposition was due to the death of a much loved mistress.

Whatever the cause of his suicidal and rash behaviour, on this day never was there a braver soul in all christendom.
    Last edited by Hawkwood, Jan 11, 2019
    Callaina and Pacifica like this.
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I never know if I should "correct" things like this because if this is how you naturally speak, well, why not, and who am I to try and stop the language's natural evolution, but if you wanted to publish something one day or so people would probably still require you to change that "had grew" to "had grown". I've little doubt that one day your conjugation will be standard, though. It seems to be well established in your dialect already, because I've noticed you doing this all the time. But your dialect isn't alone. Something else, maybe a typo: meloncholic ---> meclancholic.

This thread is a cool idea, I hope you'll keep it up. I love this sort of anecdote.
    Last edited by Pacifica, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    I don't know why I lean toward meloncholy I have to correct myself every time I type it. Miss them sometimes, thanks. Changed verb out of past tense as well.
  5. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    IMG_20190113_094139_0.jpg

Sir John Meldrum. Sword for hire and Parliamentarian.

The Flying Scotsman

John Meldrum, after fighting as a mercenary in the Low countries returned to England where James I, who'd took a liking to this fellow bonnie scot, knighted him in the summer of 1622. Yet fate would require his services be used elsewhere in the oncoming civil war. In July of 1642 at the initial outbreak of hostilities, Meldrum, now in his sixties, planted himself in the thick of parliament's cause. During the Siege of Hull he defended gallantly and with 500 men led an ambush on an approaching royalist column some 3000 strong, forcing a royalist retreat. This was [1] 'the first blood that was shed in these unnatural wars' reported a press pamphlet of the time. Then at Anlaby, some two weeks later, he led a midnight ambush capturing 15 canons including a heavy mortar named [2] 'The Queens Pocket Pistol'. His men renamed it 'Sweet Lips' after Hull's most infamous prostitue.

In february of 1645 besieging Scarborough Castle, held by Sir Hugh Cholmley, Meldrum fell off a 200 foot cliff and would have certainly died if not for his cloak acting as a parachute. Chomley wrote in admiration:

[3] "Yet hee is taken up for dead, lyes 3 dayes speachless, his head opened and the bruised blood taken out [trepanned], though a Man above three score yeare old, recovered thus soe perfectlie that within six weekes hee is on foote againe, and begins to batter the Castle!"

IMG_20190113_112147_0.jpg

The cliff face at Scarborough Castle.

No sooner off the surgeon's table he then took a quite devastating shot through the codds and was again out of action and by accounts was beginning to become discouraged and dispondent. Parliament sweetened his souring by voting him a £1500 nod for his services and efforts thus far. Meldrum duly accepted.

Then on the 11th of May, leading another assault on the castle, he suffered a mortal shot to the gut. Chomley asserted Meldrum [4] 'dyed within six dayes of this wound' but his will recording of '24th May' suggests his agony was more prolonged.

Meldrum's death moved and disturbed his troops so, that they ceased siege offensive operations and subsequently the royalists were then starved into submission. Even in death this flying scotsman proved his ghostly resolve would fight on and haunt the royalist cause. For the right price, of course.

1. J. Rushworth. Historical collections, 5 pts in 8 vols. (1659–1701)
    2. A. Cooper. A speedy post with more news from Hull (1642)
    3. The memoirs and memorials of Sir Hugh Cholmley of Whitby (1600–1657)
    4. The memoirs and memorials of Sir Hugh Cholmley of Whitby (1600–1657)
    Last edited by Hawkwood, Jan 13, 2019
    Pacifica likes this.
  6. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    Haven't read for mistakes yet but my morning is now filled with jobs. Best not leaving page open on phone in case it refreshes so I'll post it and return to look for the usual errors.
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    o_O :D
    I noticed a few but if you haven't proofread it yet I'll let you find them for yourself when you do.