Transform Passion into Impact

By themayor897, in 'English to Latin Translation', Mar 2, 2019.

1. themayor897 New Member

Working on translating this motto, but I'm struggling specifically on "impact" as most translations I have found are in the context of objects colliding with one another, rather than an effect or change.

So far for the whole phrase, I have "Trānsfōrmāmus passiō in...."

It's been a while since I've had any formal training in Latin, so also unsure of the case passio should be in so I left in the nominative. Transform could be in either 2nd person singular or 1st person plural, right now have it in the latter.

Definition of impact specifically:
    "the job losses will have a major impact"

2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    "Passion" is the direct object, so it should be in the accusative. The nominative is for the subject.

Passio doesn't mean "passion" in the usual modern English sense of an ardent love or interest for someone or something. It means "passion" in the older sense still found in the phrase "Christ's passion", that is, suffering. For the modern sense of "passion" you could have fervorem or studium. Fervorem is stronger. See the definitions:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0059:entry=fervor

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0059:entry=studium

"Impact" can probably translate fairly well as momentum.
  3. syntaxianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Converte cupiditates in vim effectivam.

Turn passion into effective force. = Transform passion into impact.
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I'm not sure cupiditates captures the sense of "passion" here. Granted, we don't have much context, but my first impression isn't that this "passion" has to do with desire, greed or lust.
  5. syntaxianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I think cupiditates can express the deep and importunate longings that are part of human existence, all the drives and wants that can range from sensual to spiritual aims. The whole existential dimension of these longings, taken as a complex without any defined concrete objects, might be expressed with cupiditates in Latin or "passion" in English, it seems to me. But I will be happy to hear other proposals. There is an urgency to cupiditas that I do not find in desiderium.