True Roman Numeral Arithmetic

By Alex Wilson, in 'Suggestions and Feedback', Jan 11, 2017 at 6:17 AM.

1. Alex Wilson New Member

I am looking to teach my eldest son arithmetic with Roman numerals (in the genuine sense without conversion to a decimal notation first).

Is there scope for a forum on this subject area? It is quite good fun (well, addition is quite straightforward, subtraction is relatively easy multiplication gets more interesting and division is where the fun really starts!)

Alex
  2. Dantius Homo Sapiens

This is a nice video that explains Roman numerals and at least the addition and multiplication of them.
  3. Alex Wilson New Member

This is the resource I have used in the past:

http://turner.faculty.swau.edu/mathematics/materialslibrary/roman/

"It is important to remember that the Romans did not think in terms of our familiar numbers—they thought only in terms of the Roman Numbers. They were familiar with numbers such as XIII and MCMLXVIII directly without thinking these were 13 and 1968. They had a lifetime of experience with numbers represented only as Roman Numerals."