Truth is my light

By jrobertson06, in 'Latin Mottoes', Feb 22, 2006.

1. jrobertson06 New Member

I know you probably all get requests for several english to latin translations for tattoos... this is yet another one.

I will cross reference several other sources on this, as its going to be a memorium tattoo to my grandfather (rip)...

I want to say "The truth is my light" or "truth is my light"

have seen a couple translations of this...

1) verum est meum lucem <- a latin minor friend of mine
    2) veritas lux mea <- an online quotes site
    3) verum est meus lux lucis <- online translator

any help would be appreciated...

Jon
  2. Oppius New Member

#2 is right. #1 has a case and a gender mistake and #3 uses dictionary entries instead of proper forms. To your friend's consolation his errors are very common ones - were probably made in a hurry :)
  3. jrobertson06 New Member

thank you very much my friend, now for safety sake any one else care to comment? trying to get multiple opinions, not that I dont trust oppius.

if not, your help has been very appreciated. now the task of finding a local translator.
  4. XxB3A5TxX New Member

I agree with oppius that number two is correct cept that i think there should be an "est" tacked on to the end, you dont have too for to-be is often omitted,(at least in poetry... i hate u ovid)
  5. jrobertson06 New Member

Thanks for the help guys... i have it written down, now comes the fun task of finding an artist to sketch it all out for me...

for those curious, this phrase will be written above a celtic/tribal cross with my grandfathers initials inside of his birth year and death year.

in essence...

LATIN TEXT

|
    -----
    |
    |

1918 AJR 2005

Only much more beautiful and it will be placed on my left chest (over my heart).

Thanks gain for help, any further suggestions of this would be a huge help.
  6. Manius New Member

The tattoo idea sounds very beautiful... Can we see a pic when it is done? I never thought of getting a tattoo in memory of someone - it's a great idea, I think.

Veritas lux mea is perfectly right. Est at the end is grammatically correct but not necessary.

@XxB3A5TxX: hate ovid too :(
  7. jrobertson06 New Member

Yea when I get a pic I will throw it up, chances are it might be a month or two... gotta get it sketched and find an artist willing to do a good job on it

thanks again for the help.