ubi libertas, ibi patria

By Anonymous, in 'Latin to English Translation', Dec 19, 2009.

1. Anonymous Guest

Hey there. This is my first post so I hope I'm in the right place. Feel free to move this topic as needed. Anyway, I have a motto for my coat of arms and I know what it means in english (or at least I THINK I do) but I want to make sure it's absolutely correct. I know that with latin to english translations, sometimes the connotations are different than what one might expect even if the words are technically correct. Anyway here it is...

ubi libertas, ibi patria

I'm under the impression that it means "Where liberty is, there is my country"

I was wondering if it's absolutely correct and what the exact connotations of that statement would be to a latin speaker. If I said that to someone who speaks latin, would they get the impression that whichever country has liberty is the country that I am loyal to? Or does it mean that the country I am loyal to has liberty? Or is it something other than those two options?

Thanks for the help and sorry again if I broke any rules. Not sure if this is the correct forum for this.
  2. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Re: Need help with Heraldic Motto

No, it isn't the right place. No sweat. I would add mea to emphasise 'mine'. Ubi libertas, ibi patria mea. Or in inscription style, VBI·LIBERTAS·IBI·PATRIA·MEA
  3. Anonymous Guest

Oh sorry about that. What forum should I have posted in?

And what about the context or connotation of the phrase? Or was that a silly question to begin with? I wanted the phrase to mean that I'm more loyal to liberty than to a country
  4. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor

I would interpret it to mean that you would call any place your home which had liberty.

Mattheus is correct with the mea, although personally I prefer the more pithy original form. I think that either would get your meaning across.
  5. Anonymous Guest

Ah thank you very much. That's helpful. And don't worry, it's not for a tattoo ;)

I would imagine you guys get a lot of requests to proof-read tattoos.