uiro multa allocuto et ferociam uxoris recordato Alcumena tamen nil respondit.

By Lysandra, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jul 25, 2015.

1. Lysandra Canis

• Civis Illustris
    Aurifex, it is in relation to Plautus' play Amphitruo. There is a grammatical question following this in relation to the dative in the sentence, but I have already figured it out.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It's a participial clause in Latin, but which can be rendered with a temporal clause in English, as you yourself did with "after".
    No, multa isn't describing ferociam; it it did, it would need to agree with it and be multam. It's a neuter plural, literally "many things", but it can also be translated adverbially as "a lot" or sim. "After he spoke many things to her", "after he spoke a lot to her", or something of the kind.
  3. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    How do we know for sure it's not/can't be an ablative absolute? Does respondit absolutely need an indirect object (i.e. the man)?
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, I suppose that in theory it could be an ablative absolute, but the dative seems more likely.
  5. Lysandra Canis

• Civis Illustris
    Thank you again for all of your help. I still have one question about 'multa' though. I know it is neuter plural, but is it nominative and describing 'allocutus' or is it accusative and the object of 'allocutus'?
  6. Ignis Umbra Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris
    The latter; multa is the direct object of allocuto.
    Lysandra likes this.
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, more like an internal object than a direct object.
  8. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    We're going round in circles here. And the Latin is not totally satisfactory anyway, not least for the reason I touched on in my first post.
  9. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    I think I understand what you mean here by "internal object", but can you say more (i.e. what exactly is the difference?)
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hmm, how to explain that...

A direct object is an "external" object, so the thing/person directly affected/acted upon, as in e.g. Alcumenam adloquitur, "He addresses/talks to Alcumena", whereas an internal object is not something you act upon but something that is inherent in the action of the verb. It can be either what's called a cognate accusative — so a noun that is related to the verb as in, e.g. pugnam pugnare, "to fight a fight", or magnam insaniam insanire, "to be mad with a great madness" — or a neuter pronoun, as in si quicquam me amas, literally "if you love me anything", i.e. "if you love me at all", or Alcumenam multa adloquitur, more or less literally, "He addresses alcumena (with) many things/words". The same principle is at play in adverbs that are actually neuter accusatives like multum, satis, parum and such.
    Callaina likes this.
  11. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Which textbook has this sentence been taken from?
  12. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Why?
  13. Lysandra Canis

• Civis Illustris
    The sentence is made up for the homework, but it is based off of similar ones in Peter V. Jones' Reading Latin: Grammar, Vocabulary and Exercises.

Thank you for the explanation. It makes a lot more sense now. Actually, I submitted the assignment a few hours ago, but I am still interested in learning more.
    Pacis puella likes this.
  14. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, the adversative contrast betwenn the fact that he talked a lot and called to mind the fierceness of his wife and the fact that Alcumena didn't respond isn't obvious at first, though I guess it can still fit somehow...
  15. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

One could work around it by translating, rather freely, I admit, "Although the man talked about many things/addressed a lot of things and remembered ETA: his wife's fierceness, Alcmene still didn't make any response.
  16. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    It made sense to me -- like he was expecting to get a reaction (of sympathy or whatever) from Alcumena, and didn't, even after he told her at great length about what a horrible person his wife was...
  17. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, it can make sense. It just isn't immediately obvious.

Why does everyone seem to persevere in (mis)translating it like this...? :(

Btw, Lysandra, there was a forum member called Carpe Piscem who had the same avatar as you. Are you the same person or do you just happen by chance to have the same avatar?
  18. Laurentius Weebus Maximus

• Civis Illustris
    Oh infact it gave me a weird feeling at first, but I didn't know why.
  19. malleolus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Comment deleted.
  20. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Ah — reply deleted too.