veni navati vico

By jimbabwe, in 'Latin Mottoes', Jun 12, 2017.

1. jimbabwe New Member

So this sentence was printed on my school's swim team's sweaters. They claim that it means "I came, I swam, I conquered."
    I'm not an expert, but isn't I conquered "vici"?
    According to google translate, "vico" means "icing," which while delicious, does not make sense...
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, you are right, "I conquered" is vici.

I don't know where Google Translate got the idea that vico meant "icing", though, but then Google Translate is known to be hopeless at Latin.
  3. jimbabwe New Member

does vico mean anything?

Also, I don't think navati means "I swam"
    Last edited by jimbabwe, Jun 12, 2017
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It could mean basically "for a village" or "by means of a village", lol.

Actually, I've just realized there's another mistake, unless that's just a typo from you: navati should be natavi.
  5. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    It could be ablative or dative of vícus, 'village, hamlet, street'.

(Sorry, ninja'd).
  6. jimbabwe New Member

I'm going to try to get a picture of the shirt - it says navati. I guess they figured no one would know any better...
  7. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Perhaps they initially got the correct version somewhere, but it got badly typoed at some point in the process...
  8. jimbabwe New Member

Very true- I would have thought that veni vidi vici was one of the most well-known Latin phrases.
  9. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    It is. Concerning vico at least, on my keyboard the I and the O are next to each other, so if one of the people involved in providing or transmitting the phrase or creating the t-shirt had the same type of keyboard, well a mistyping of O for I could easily have happened at some point. The navati typo for natavi is less evident, but well, someone may just have had a slight fit of dyslexia. All in all, they were rather unfortunate, lol.
  10. Iáson Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris
    návátí, incidentally, is from the past participle of návó, 'accomplish with zeal'.

So I suppose as a whole the statement means 'I came, for the village of the thing accomplished with zeal'. Or similar.
  11. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    :D
  12. AoM Rosa Caerula

• Civis Illustris
    Also, I would have used navi instead of natavi to keep the disyllabic consistency.