Vincit qui se vincit

By Anonymous, in 'Latin to English Translation', Aug 24, 2009.

1. Anonymous Guest

Can someone tell the meaning of Vincit qui se vincit. I dont need a translation, i would be grateful to learn the meaning behind this phrase, where it came from. What exactly it is telling us?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
  2. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    It looks like a bastardisation of, "Bis vincit qui se vincit in victoria.", from Publius Syrus' "Sententiae"

He conquers twice, who conquers himself when he is victorious.
  3. Jaga New Member

It doesn't really matter, if it's the first "bastard" version or the full quotation. The important part IMHO is, that the "se vincere" have to be interpreted as "to restraint oneself" ie. "to conquer one's own weaknesses/desires or whatever...". So the sentence is about virtue (maybe virtue of somewhat asketical kind) - "You are the real winner only if you are able to take control of youerself"
    In case of "Bis vincit qui se vincit in victoria." It says that the winner is not to be haughty, that his ability to treat the defeated party justly, is as important as the actual victory itself.
    I can be wrong, it's just my opinion - but it makes sense...
  4. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    No, it has nothing to do with the defeated party. As Cinefactus said, he who conquers himself in victory wins a double victory. Maybe in overcoming a vice of his own or something...And it does matter that it's a corruption of the original, as your 'vincit qui se vincit' doesn't really make sense. He conquered who conquered himself?
  5. simplissimus Member

I don't see it. Why does "He conquers who conquers himself" not make sense? Yes, it is a bit poetic for "He conquers who is able to use self-control," but it sounds logical enough to me.

It reminds me of something that I saw on some German coins of the 1920's: "Sich regen bringt Segen." "Ruling oneself brings blessings."
  6. Imber Ranae Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris
    The short version seems fine to me.
  7. Jaga New Member

As you yourself said: "Maybe in overcoming a vice of his own or something" - for understanding the sentence is crucial to determine (or at least imagine) in what sense you conquer yourself. And it is, what I tried to say. It really has nothing to do with the defeated party - its about winner's attitude (to himself and in consequence to the defeated party too): he (the winner) conquers his own desire to act in some way (to be haughty / to destroy the defeated totally / or in any other way he may want to act and which is not proper) and in this self-restraint is another victory.
    Wheather it is the original or the corrupted version (which you can see as a generalization of the original - no matter what circumstances, he who can overcome his own weaknesses, is the winner - the strong person, the good man, whatever), the focus is always on the meaning of victory over yourself.
  8. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I think it's about being a good sport and being modest when you acquire a victory somewhere rather than becoming arrogant.

It does make sense if you translate it as "He who conquers himself wins"

The German quote actually means "to move (yourself) brings blessings"
  9. Anonymous Guest

A bit late, but "Vincit qui se vincit" is the motto of my old school in London. I've attached the badge.

Attached Files:

10. Nooj Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It was my high school motto as well (North Sydney Boys High School).
  11. Anonymous Guest

If your school hymn was "to be a pilgrim" I'm goin to claim more than coincidence! :D
  12. Carolus New Member

I think that the answer to this question is very clear. It simply means that you´ll win when you´re enabled to overcome yourself.

greetings.
  13. Nooj Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    No no, it was 'Fly Falcon Fly'. Yeah, really. :| Not exactly the height of lyricism. :D
  14. vgreig007 New Member

It's a good school motto because it really means you win, or conquer, when you've conquered yourself - when you've mastered your own weaknesses and failings, or at least acknowledged them. Instead of finding fault with others take a good look at yourself. Maybe there are some things you need to work on (patience, compassion, tolerance, etc. etc.) And I think it's about testing yourself by high standards as opposed to competing with others. She/He conquers who conquers herself/himself. It was the motto of a school in Edinburgh, Scotland, attended by the writer Muriel Spark ("The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie") and she never forgot it.
  15. Decimvs Aedilis

• Aedilis
    It is about avoiding hubris. You must resist the urge to go around praising yourself for what a good job you did, or how great your victory was. Auctoritas is power and authority given to you by others, you don't go around heaping it on yourself. You are supposed to be humble, and let others praise you.

Resist the urge to brag, and you seem all the more great. It is like winning twice.
  16. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    I think it quite reasonable to brag (to some extent) about something if you attained that something entirely on your own, i.e. with great diligence, without anyone's help. There's nothing wrong with feeling some pride, it actually boosts your self-esteem.
    For example, being autodidactic in anything is a source of pride in itself.
  17. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    I think, in the context of school, se vincere would refer to the self-discipline necessary to succeed.
  18. Akela viam inveniam

• Princeps Senatus
    That's what I was thinking. Something along the lines of overcoming one's weaknesses.

I never thought about all the other possibilities you, guys, described...
  19. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It is originally taken from the iambic dictum bis víncit quí se víncit ín victóriá which pretty clearly referred to what Decimus described

Without the in victoria it becomes less clear ... it could also mean "he who shackles himself wins twice" ;P
  20. Taylor New Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm wondering if the phrase "Vincit qui se vincit" gramatically fits for male and female. Does anyone know?
    I'm planning a tattoo containing this sentence.
    Taylor