Virtute and Virtus

By p4rtas, in 'Latin to English Translation', Mar 31, 2011.

1. p4rtas New Member

Hello,

I have been reading many latin texts and have came upon an interesting doubt. I have seen the word virtute used many times although when I look for a definition of the word constantly virtus comes up with the same meaning.

What is the actual diference inbetween the two?

Thank You
    Alexandre
  2. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Latin changes the form of a word depending on its role in a sentence. Those are just variants of the same word, meaning 'virtue' of course.
  3. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Do you mean the difference between two Latin words, or the difference between the English virtue and the Latin virtus?
  4. p4rtas New Member

I meant the difference between the two latin words.

When I look for the definition of the words I dont find virtue itself, but actual characteristics, like character, bravery, honor, I know those are virtues but I havent seen the actual word to word translation virtute = virtue.

Any thoughts?
  5. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    It is because virtus means a combination of manly qualities such as those you have just mentioned.
    In Christian writings the meaning changed slightly to mean what we could call virtue (see 2 Peter 1:3—where it is used to mean power and virtue in the same verse, and 2 Peter 1:5), but this is a later development.
  6. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I just explained that they're the same word.
  7. p4rtas New Member

Thank you for clarifying.

So does the phrase "Pro virtute et amor" make sence?
  8. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    No. But what are you trying to say?
  9. p4rtas New Member

I am trying to say "For honor and love"

But when I found the word virtus or virtute I thought it could be used in that sentence due to its meaning.
  10. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Amore
  11. p4rtas New Member

Ok, so if I wanted to say "For Honor and Love" I would say "Pro Virtute et Amore"
  12. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    Why not pro honore et amore, if you mean honour?
  13. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Or pietate, dignitate, decore for "honor" or uenere, cupidine, libidine for "love"... &c. The list of synonyms is truly endless, mi Cinefacte.
  14. p4rtas New Member

That was my original text, but when I saw the definition for virtute I thought it was a much more well rounded word for the meaning I was trying to achieve. Btw, this is a tattoo that I plan on getting done.

But if virtute does not fit in correctly in this sentence I will change it.

Thank you for your ideas!

Alexandre
  15. p4rtas New Member

Hey guys,

Please let me know if "Pro virtute et amore" is grammaticaly correct, I dont want to tattoo something wrong.

Thank You!
  16. Imprecator Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It's fine.
  17. p4rtas New Member

So it would be wrong to say "pro virtus et amore"??

The correct way would be "pro virtus et amor" and "pro virtute et amore" ?

Thanks
  18. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    Only pro virtute et amore is correct - the preposition pro takes an ablative object.
  19. p4rtas New Member

Thanks for your answer

The latin meaning for virtute is virtue or honour, character, bravery, manly characteristics?
  20. p4rtas New Member

Scrabulista,

This is for a tattoo I am having done,

I want it to say " For honor/bravery and love"

So would the translationg "pro virtute et amore" be correct?

Thank You