Virtutem et virtute

By krometheus1, in 'Latin to English Translation', Feb 14, 2012.

1. krometheus1 New Member

I was wondering if this is actually a viable phrase, and what it would translate as. I know there would be more than one meaning to say the least. Just fishing for feedback guys...
  2. Effertus Meri New Member

Doesn't make much sense to me.
  3. Manus Correctrix QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris
    Let's start with what on earth you are trying to say first.
  4. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Possibly some MT gibberish.
  5. krometheus1 New Member

This is a phrase that I saw on a chalkboard at my local library and it seems it may have been one of those "this makes no sense" phrases that a teacher may have been discussing. Thanks for the feedback guys.
  6. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    It could be part of a sentence - but finding the provenance would be quite a challenge. It is the accusative and the ablative of virtus = "virtue."
    Similar constructions that come to mind are John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God."
    in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
    Also the closing lines of the Gettysburg address - "that government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from the earth."
  7. ice maiden New Member

This phrase was also written on a plaque on the library wall of the very old school i went to. It means 'power in virtue"..Many of the English world explorers in the 16th & 17th century used this phrase, or very similar ones ,
    as their motto. I know Sir Walter Raleigh had "Amore et Virtute" on his (by Love & Virtue) Clearly many took liberties with the use of Latin words & their meanings in days gone by, just as many do with the English language now
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Not really. It means "strength/fortitude/virtue and by strength/fortitude/virtue".

The first "strength/fortitude/virtue" would be the object of a verb left implied, like, say, "we shall obtain" or something, though it's hard to say for sure what was meant (it could be pretty much anything, in theory).
  9. ice maiden New Member

we had teachers who were as old as dust & had studied Latin themselves. The school is over 100 years old. I spent 12 years of my life there...reading that sign & being reminded of its meaning every school day.
    Im sure its still there...Moreton Bay Ladies College (a 1-12..not an American type college) & they reminded us of it every morning after assembly. That 'strength is virtue' as pointed at the sign..& that "if one has virtue one is strong..& in turn "one has to be strong to have virtue".its a circle..so in response...yes really ! :)
  10. AoM Rosa Caerula

• Civis Illustris
    Good ol' argumentum ad verecundiam.
  11. ice maiden New Member

no argument..i know little..however, i have learned that as Albert Einstein say "the only true knowledge is experience". i drove myself nuts signing into this forum today..just to answer the mans enquiry..it is something i have experienced personally & know with certainty. (which i have in very few other areas of my life) We were taught that 'context' is key to understanding the meanings of Latin phrases. If you look (as mentioned earlier) at the 1500 1600 & 1700's when man was first daring out to investigate what lay beyond their horizon in shaky ships, phrases that referred to strength honor & love were common. Don't believe anyone..not even sweet me..research for yourself.
  12. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I have experience in Latin. You apparently don't.

It's clear that the phrase is meant to say something about strength and/or virtue, but anyone knowing at least the basics of Latin can tell that it doesn't mean "power in virtue". The overall idea intended behind the phrase may have been something similar, but it doesn't translate to "power in virtue". It just doesn't.

Now I'm wondering if the et there mightn't be a typo for e or ex. It would seem to read better that way (as "strenght/virtue/etc. from strength/virtue/etc.").
  13. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    If it is ex, perhaps it comes from here.

Quisque tamen bonus cum intima voluptate saepe sibi dicat, virtutem ex virtute progerminare...
  14. Etaoin Shrdlu Imminent wormfood

• Civis Illustris
    If you are referring to Moreton Bay College, which is a school for girls in the vicinity of Brisbane, its motto appears to be Fortitudine et spe, which you might translate by 'with/by bravery/resolution and hope'. There is a certain irony here.