1. Godmy A Monkey

• Civis Illustris
    I don't mind fact-checking or critical thinking (in phonetics, an audio editor is your best friend or an application like Praat, which is free; I bid you to use them to the their full ability to get to the facts, to see for yourself), I just felt you weren't taking the evidence/the facts too seriously as you were checking them or using some subjective or local views to draw an objective general conclusion. If I was mistaken, my bad, but I suppose my teaching abilities are just limited sometimes by how much time and energy I want to invest in something which I think is best defended by itself (by the studies, the literature and other academics), hence my little patience.

Be well & bye!
    Last edited by Godmy, May 14, 2018
  2. interprete Member

I didn't draw any conclusion. I merely questioned the realism of some claims and was looking for explanations as to why they are so widely accepted despite being so counter-intuitive, at least for a dilettante like me.

MOD EDIT
    Last edited by Bestiola, May 25, 2018
  3. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    Wuzzat? Do you live in 10th-century Warwickshire?
    Only kidding. But really, whereabouts livest thou, my guy?
  4. Bestiola Speculatrix

• Praetor
    • Praeco
    I've removed the personal attacks and bickering. Let's play nicely, thank you.
    Godmy likes this.
  5. Montefortino New Member

Hi all.
    I have a doubt: mono-syllables with E or O like REX, LEX, VOX are long by nature, aren't they ?
    The E or O vocal in those mono-syllables are short or long ? Those syllables are long because they end with a consonant letter, but is their vocal long or short ?
    I mean: if I have to speak, I would pronounce with an open E/O (like in english "net" or "dot") or with a closed one ?

Thanks in advance!
    SALVETE
  6. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    Technically, the vowel itself may be long or short (e.g. lēx, lēgis vs. grex, grĕgis), but since, as you've said, the syllable is long regardless, it is doubtful that the Roman would have done anything other than distinguish by quality, and the general model there, I think, is that the long vowel is closed. So I imagine:

lēx /leks/
    grex /grεks/
  7. Quasus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Why would it be short in lēx? I’d say,

lēx [le:ks]
    grex [grεks]
    pāx [pa:ks]
    fax [faks]
  8. Montefortino New Member

Let's see the outcome in italian:
    • lēx [le:ks] --> légge (closed e), so the long E in latin is compatible
    • rēx [re:ks] --> in standard italian ré (closed e, but in some northern regions rè), so the long E in latin is compatible
    • vōx [vo:ks] --> vóce (closed o), so the long O in latin is compatible
    If the logic is the same, the word NOS (first plural person, personal pronoun) would be nōs [no:s] since the italian outcome is nói (closed o)