Voyage of the Beagle

By Anonymous, in 'Latin to English Translation', Jan 9, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

Hi there. I came across your site looking for a learned scholar who could translate something for me. While reading Darwin's work Voyage of the Beagle, I came across a passage in Latin that reads "Nam simul expletus dapibus, vinoque sepultus cervicem inflexam posuit, jacuitque per antrum immensus, saniem eructans, ac frusta cruenta per somnum commixta mero". If anybody could let me know what this means, I would be very thankful! Please email me at dmichaelcunningham@gmail.com with any helpful information.
  2. Kaya New Member

Just to let you know: as the sentence is very long, it probably won't get the translation too soon.. not until someone has the time to go through the entre thing.
  3. Anonymous Guest

That's fine, I would appreciate any time that anybody puts into it.
  4. lionrampant New Member

I would also be interested in the translation.
  5. Donaldus New Member

Some Googling reveals the quote to be a description from the Aeneid of the Cyclops satiated by the blood of his victims.

Context in The Voyage of the Beagle:

6. Donaldus New Member

This is disgusting... I thought first that Darwin was switching into Latin from some sort of Victorian delicacy, except that the preceding description in English was fairly disgusting itself.

Rough translation (correct me where wrong):

expletus dapibus = exhausted by the feast (daps, dapis)
    vino sepultus = buried/laid flat (sepelio) by wine
    cervicem inflexem = bent neck?
    posuit = put down
    jacuit = lay down (iaceo)
    per antrum = along the cave, rather than in it, because it's a giant
    immensus - refers to the Cyclops
    saniem eructans = spitting out/vomiting (eructo) blood (sanies,ei=?"corrupted blood, poison")
    ac frusta cruenta = and [spitting out] bloody morsels
    per somnum = I think this means [spitting blood, etc] while in his sleep
    commixta mero = mixed with wine (merum,i=undiluted wine)... I think it's the bloody morsels that are mixed with wine
  7. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    I think you've got it exactly right. Here's Fairclough's English (from the Loeb):

For when, gorged with the feast and drowned in wine, the monster rested his drooping neck, and lay in endless length throughout the cave, in his sleep vomiting gore and morsels mixed with blood and wine...