We Speak Good; We Win Trophies

By DaveClay12, in 'English to Latin Translation', Mar 6, 2019.

1. DaveClay12 New Member

Hi, and thanks so much in advance for taking this on.

I coach High School Law Teams (Moot Court, and Mock Trial), and we have done spectacularly well the last couple of years (it's really the kids, not me). We wanted to create a team logo/motto (for team shirts, a website, etc.) that would seem really "legal," but also be sort of an inside joke to us. Since latin is the language of the law, I asked my team what they might want translated as a motto, and this is what they gave me. Of course, as you can tell, it is supposed to be tongue-firmly-in-cheek. And "speak" is fine as "talk" if that makes any difference.

Anyway, in terms of gender, the team is co-ed.

I initially asked my friend, who is a linguistics professor, who gave me the translation "Bene dicemus; tropaea vincemus" with the caveat that his last academic experience with Latin came in 1998, and that I should "run this past someone else too." Thank you so much for taking the time and mental energy to help me out.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hi,

The translation you've got isn't correct.

I would suggest: belle dicimus; praemia ferimus.
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I notice that the English phrase "We speak good" is not grammatically correct, probably as a joke. Do you want the Latin translation to represent this by having its own facetious grammatical error?
  4. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I took the use of "good" as an adverb to be a colloquial usage, so I tried to re-create a sort of colloquial feel with belle, as opposed to the more neutral bene. I suppose belle (which is totally grammatically correct) doesn't go so far as "good", but bonum, on the other hand, might be going beyond it. If a downright mistake is definitely wanted, though, maybe we could use it, but it would make the sentence ambiguous...
    Bitmap likes this.
  5. DaveClay12 New Member

Thanks for asking. If I could get both the grammatically correct translation, and one with the corresponding error, I could let the kids choose which they like. That would be so amazing! Thanks again!