"We will be safe" and "Nobody can hurt or love you like family"

By Josh Smith, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jul 10, 2018.

1. Josh Smith New Member

Looking at some possible Latin family mottos for fun, but having trouble with the translations.

1st option: "We will be safe". As near as I can tell this would be the first person plural future tense of 'tutum', and likely all one word. Alternatively, if anyone knows a better analogue to the modern use of the phrase "We will be fine", I am happy to listen (or read in this case).

2nd option: "Nobody can hurt or love you like family". I don't even know where to start with this one.
  2. Josh Smith New Member

Following some time on Wiktionary (not Google translate, I swear), would 'tutum erimus' be the best translation for 'we will be safe/protected/secure'?

*Edited to correct the word order from 'erimus tutum' to 'tutum erimus'
    Last edited by Josh Smith, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:16 AM
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Hi,

Tuti erimus — or erimus tuti, for that matter (the word order is flexible) — would be a way of saying "We will be safe". However, "safe" can be interpreted in more than one way. Tuti means "safe" in the sense "not exposed to danger". If you meant "safe" in the sense "unhurt", as your second request for "We will be fine" makes me think perhaps you do, then use salvi instead of tuti. This can work for "fine" as well.

For "Nobody can hurt or love you like family" I might suggest nemo aeque ac proximi laedere, nemo aeque amare potest, but the word "family" is tricky to translate. The Latin word I used here, proximi, literally means "the closest ones", which can mean close family but also in some contexts close friends. Another option would be to replace proximi with cognati, meaning literally of the same kin, related by blood, but that obviously would exclude wives and husbands, whom the English "family" can include. Yet another option is domus, meaning literally "house" and by extension "household". Familia is also a conceivable translation, but in spite of its obviously being the origin of the English word "family", it was actually rather rare in this sense in Latin (at any rate in classical Latin) and more often meant the slaves of a household collectively.
  4. Josh Smith New Member

Thanks, Pacifica!

I think I'll go with tuti erimus rather than salvi, since in our family's context we rarely mean 'unhurt', but rather 'no permanent damage', or 'we will get through it'.

Also: nice work on the second option, especially all the variations for 'family'. You are correct in saying that proximi would be the closest to what we need.

Great work!
  5. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    While it's perfectly good Latin, the word tuti sounds, in my very humble opinion, stupid when recited in a motto by an English speaker. Like 'tutti frutti'. :D
    I must suggest sospites in its place, which in addition to 'safe & sound' means 'happy/fortunate'. So sospites erimus. See:
    sospites.jpg
  6. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Sospites is synonymous with salvi rather than tuti.
  7. Hemo Rusticus The Lizard King

• Civis Illustris
    Different shades of meaning are beyond the un-Latined; I think he should go with what sounds best. At any rate, it's just another option for him.
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I think he should go with what's closest to the meaning he intends, but ultimately it's up to him.