We will drink the warm red blood of our enemies

By IWISHINEWLATIN, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 20, 2011.

1. IWISHINEWLATIN New Member

Hi! I'd like some help translating the following phrase:

"We will drink the warm red blood of our enemies!"

Before you get the impression that I am some kind of weird freak, let me explain. My high school band director is sort of a weird but cool guy. (He's been teaching for probably about 30 years, so he can get away with a lot.) We were rehearsing music for pep band (to play at football games and whatnot) and he was frustrated that we were not playing with enough gusto/volume, so he yelled this phase.
    Now a few of my friends and I want to turn it into a band slogan or possibly put it on a crest of some kind, so if someone would help me out in translating it that would be great!

Thank you!
  2. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Re: Band Slogan

Your band director muſt be a barbarian ... or a vampire

anyway, I'd write

SANGVINEM HOSTIS TEPIDVM BIBEMVS
  3. IWISHINEWLATIN New Member

Thanks! Since I'm new to this, how would you pronounce that?
  4. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

that's leaving out "red" and unnecessarily puts the enemies in the singular. also, a better word order would be:

hostium tepidum rubrum sanguinem bibemus

it's pronounced
    ['(h)[o-short:2oheqwgh][/o-short:2oheqwgh]st[i-short:2oheqwgh][/i-short:2oheqwgh](j)ũ 't[e-short:2oheqwgh][/e-short:2oheqwgh]p[i-short:2oheqwgh][/i-short:2oheqwgh]dũ 'r[u-short:2oheqwgh][/u-short:2oheqwgh]brũ 's[a-short:2oheqwgh][/a-short:2oheqwgh]ŋgʷ[i-short:2oheqwgh][/i-short:2oheqwgh]nẽ b[i-short:2oheqwgh][/i-short:2oheqwgh]'b[e-long:2oheqwgh][/e-long:2oheqwgh]m[u-short:2oheqwgh][/u-short:2oheqwgh]s]

using pseudo-IPA since we don't really know the vowel qualities; cursor nictans may provide a vorbis recording of that phrase
  5. Manus Correctrix Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Tepidus seems often a bit weaker than ‘warm’ in English. I’d be tempted to use calidus.

Having said that, Virgil says Supponunt alii cultros tepidumque cruorem / succipiunt pateris. So, I suppose it’s OK, but in that case I might prefer to see it with cruor.
  6. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I had a few Vergil quotes in mind with tepefacere / tepefactus from the later books:

XI 332-334 with both sanguis and cruor
    tum caput ipsi aufert domino truncumque relinquit
    sanguine singultantem; atro tepefacta cruore
    terra torique madent.

XI 419-420
    ecce aliud summa telum librabat ab aure.
    dum trepidant, it hasta Tago per tempus utrumque
    stridens traiectoque haesit tepefacta cerebro.

this one has nothing to do with blood, but it was stuck in my head somehow (just like the spear was stuck in that guy's head)

To me, it looks like tepere (and words derived from it like tepefacere or tepidus) refers to the natural, warm body temperature and it seemed to fit pretty well in this context. Calidus would sound like the blood was artificially warmed beyond this point, for example by cooking it.
    If the blood is taken directly from a human body that is still alive or has just been killed, it should be tepidus

regarding sanguis vs cruor: sanguis is the liquid, fresh blood that is running through the body (or has just left the body) while cruor is more like clotted blood that has already left the body for some time (that's why it can also stand as a synonym for "murder"). I think sanguis is more likely to be the kind of blood you drink.
  7. Manus Correctrix Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Attached Files: