We will rise (again)

By Shoyu, in 'English to Latin Translation', Sep 5, 2010.

1. Shoyu New Member

Hello all,

I'd like to ask for some help with the the phrase "We will rise (again)". I have enclosed "again" in parentheses because it somewhat clarifies the intent of the phrase, being that it will be used along with a phoenix art piece. Thus, it refers to the verb "rise" in terms of resurrection, but the word "again" may or may not be used in the actual translation. I hope, though, that I do not sound insulting; I just want to be clear, and maybe be less of a nuisance.

On a side note, this is going to be a tribute piece for loved ones I truly believe I will see again someday.

Thanks in advance everyone, for helping me out with this.
  2. voxlarsi New Member

Not at all; better to be clear in the opening post, rather than later. :)
    My attempt would be: iterum erigemus. It's a pretty direct translation, and I'm sure there are better ways to do it. Wait for others to respond as well.
  3. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    The Metamorphoses (XV, 401-02):

inde ferunt, totidem qui vivere debeat annos,
    corpore de patrio parvum phoenica renasci;

"Thence they say that the small [bird] is reborn from the father's body, which must live as many years."

I don't quite see how phoenica fits; WORDS has phoenix, -icis (masculine). Also Phoenica for "Phoenicia." What's worse, I may have asked this before.

But back to your question, Shoyu. You might want renascemur..."We will be born again."

There are other classical references to the Phoenix if you want to pursue this route.
  4. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    It would be better to use medium voice here: erigemur

It's the (Greek) accusative of phoenix, -icis [same a few lines above in verse 393]
  5. miroslaw New Member

6. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    yes, that's also an option, more common I think
  7. Shoyu New Member

Thanks so much guys, for all the help.

I'm still drawing out my piece, and there's no deadline, so I'll keep referring back to you all and take everything into consideration.
  8. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Scrabblehack made a good point about the Phoenix, which also seems to be the theme of the art piece. That wins my favour for renascemur
  9. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    The flag of Atlanta has Resurgens as its motto, as well as a phoenix, symbolizing Atlanta's rise from the ashes from the city's fires.
    [IMG]
  10. Shoyu New Member

I'm really liking "renascemur", and if a phrase is going in my piece, "ex cinerebus resurgemus" looks great.