Website with pronunciation audio?

By chip_gilkey, in 'Pronunciation, Spelling and Listen to Latin', Mar 31, 2011.

1. chip_gilkey New Member

I've been looking for a website that has short audio clips of people pronouncing the words but the only one I've found so far (forvo.com) seems to only have a small selection of words. Anyone know of any others? Thanks!
  2. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    You mean spoken Latin?
  3. metrodorus Member

4. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    I think he means something in which you look up a word, and the pronunciation is given for it. An audio dictionary, if you will.

I don't think that one, in any user-friendly or comprehensive form, exists. But, the pronunciation of Latin (as we know it) is very regular, and one needs only learn a few rules to be able to pronounce virtually any word.
  5. metrodorus Member

Well, it helps to read Allen, and Sturtevant.....the rules of thumb help, but there are exceptions. But as a general proposition, I agree with you.....although even knowing the rules, it still takes years to get it right.......
  6. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    The standard of Google's Latin pronunciation is as bad as its translations deserve.
  7. If you look up a word in Wiktionary, very often there will be a short accompanying audio clip. Not sure exactly how reliable they are, but they've helped me occasionally.