Website with pronunciation audio?

By chip_gilkey, in 'Pronunciation, Spelling and Listen to Latin', Mar 31, 2011.

1. chip_gilkey New Member

I've been looking for a website that has short audio clips of people pronouncing the words but the only one I've found so far (forvo.com) seems to only have a small selection of words. Anyone know of any others? Thanks!
  2. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    You mean spoken Latin?
  3. metrodorus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
  4. Nikolaos schmikolaos

• Censor
    I think he means something in which you look up a word, and the pronunciation is given for it. An audio dictionary, if you will.

I don't think that one, in any user-friendly or comprehensive form, exists. But, the pronunciation of Latin (as we know it) is very regular, and one needs only learn a few rules to be able to pronounce virtually any word.
  5. metrodorus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Well, it helps to read Allen, and Sturtevant.....the rules of thumb help, but there are exceptions. But as a general proposition, I agree with you.....although even knowing the rules, it still takes years to get it right.......
  6. Aurifex Aedilis

• Aedilis
    The standard of Google's Latin pronunciation is as bad as its translations deserve.
  7. nunc est bibendum Active Member

If you look up a word in Wiktionary, very often there will be a short accompanying audio clip. Not sure exactly how reliable they are, but they've helped me occasionally.
  8. JuneNJ1 New Member

HERE is a pronunciation site, with audio, for various languages - including LATIN:

http://www.rightpronunciation.com/language-details/latin/

The above is the link to LATIN pronunciation at the site.

Many moons ago, I wanted to get the correct pronunciation for 'panem et circenses'
    and I found this site and bookmarked it. I know this is an old thread here, but I
    thought this pronunciation site link might be helpful to the OP, if they're still around.

June