What are you reading?

By Dido, in 'Non-Latin Talk', Dec 16, 2012.

1. rothbard Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Thanks, I do have access to JSTOR. I started reading this article, but I didn't have time to finish it. By the way, I couldn't find the passages by Rufinianus and Jerome which allegedly corroborate this one by Quintilian. I found the book which according to the author of the article should contain Rufinanus' passage on the Pro Cluentio, but it doesn't seem to be there.
  2. Araneus Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris
    I dropped Tacitus for now. Felt like reading something more fanciful, so I started on Ovid's Metamorphoses. Amazing stuff to say the least! Such phantasms and vivid scenes he conjures up, it's beautiful. He's definitely easier than Virgil, though he pulls some fancy tricks with his language every now and then.

I really love these simple, yet catchy contrivances of his:

Iuppiter ut liquidis stagnare paludibus orbem
    et superesse virum de tot modo milibus unum,
    et superesse vidit de tot modo milibus unam,

and a bit later:

namque ego (crede mihi), si te quoque pontus haberet,
    te sequerer, coniunx, et me quoque pontus haberet.
    Pacifica likes this.
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I love Metamorphoses. Ovid is often pretty funny/clever with his language.
  4. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris
    Oh, but I did like it, indeed! It's just that with philosophical works it takes much longer to digest them. ;)
    The last book is just way too philosophical imo.
  5. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    How is this going?

I just read this article. Other than that I'm still reading the Aeneid (planning to finish it by Christmas break), and I also read Vespa's funny Iudicium Coci et Pistoris Iudice Vulcano over the weekend.
  6. leonhartu Member

Some excerts from Geertz, Chomsky and Boaventura. I just can't wait for the next friday, we're going to debate international rights and how stupid it is, haha! Pretty polemic!
  7. Araneus Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris
    Well, I read the first book twice, but haven't been able to get back to it since, despite my sincerest intentions of doing so.

I really liked the story of Io. Almost dripping over with pathos, but it really hit me.

illa etiam supplex Argo cum bracchia vellet
    tendere, non habuit, quae bracchia tenderet Argo,
    conatoque queri mugitus edidit ore
    pertimuitque sonos propriaque exterrita voce est.
    venit et ad ripas, ubi ludere saepe solebat,
    Inachidas: rictus novaque ut conspexit in unda
    cornua, pertimuit seque exsternata refugit.
    naides ignorant, ignorat et Inachus ipse,
    quae sit; at illa patrem sequitur sequiturque sorores
    et patitur tangi seque admirantibus offert.
    decerptas senior porrexerat Inachus herbas:
    illa manus lambit patriisque dat oscula palmis
    nec retinet lacrimas et, si modo verba sequantur,
    oret opem nomenque suum casusque loquatur;
    Last edited by Araneus, Dec 5, 2017
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I actually find that rather funny, especially the first few lines. Reminds me a bit of the passage in Apuleius's Metamorphoses when Lucius turns into a Donkey:

Iamque alternis conatibus libratis brachiis in avem similis gestiebam; nec ullae plumulae nec usquam pinnulae, sed plane pili mei crassantur in setas et cutis tenella duratur in corium et in extimis palmulis perdito numero toti digiti coguntur in singulas ungulas et de spinae meae termino grandis cauda procedit. Iam facies enormis et os prolixum et nares hiantes et labiae pendulae; sic et aures inmodicis horripilant auctibus. Nec ullum miserae reformationis video solacium, nisi quod mihi iam nequeunti tenere Photidem natura crescebat. [25] Ac dum salutis inopia cuncta corporis mei considerans non avem me sed asinum video, querens de facto Photidis sed iam humano gestu simul et voce privatus, quod solum poteram, postrema deiecta labia umidis tamen oculis oblicum respiciens ad illam tacitus expostulabam.

By the way, I began yesterday to read his Apologia, and so far that's a bit funny as well.
  9. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I remember having the same reaction when I first read it. Ovid is really creative with his narrations of myths and adds a lot of unexpected/charming details. Like this passage from the description of the flood:
    Occupat hic collem, cumba sedet alter adunca
    et ducit remos illic, ubi nuper arabat:
    ille supra segetes aut mersae culmina villae
    navigat, hic summa piscem deprendit in ulmo.
    I found that bolded part pretty funny.

All I know about that is that that's the source by which we know the real names of poets' lovers – for instance that's where we learn that "Lesbia" was in fact named Clodia, and Propertius's "Cynthia" was in fact named Hostia. Also it preserves the only 11 surviving lines of Ennius's Hedyphagetica.

Did you finish the Historia Augusta?
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    So did I (and I think I said so when you first posted the passage).
    Yes.
  11. Adrian LEO VETERANUS

• Civis Illustris
    The Crow Girl by Erik Axl Sund

[IMG]
  12. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
  13. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I read this article about Aeneas and Achates last night.

Attached Files:

14. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    I started (and almost finished) Apuleius's De Deo Socratis last night. It's very interesting.
  15. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Is reading Apuleius ripping your soul into pieces, then ripping those pieces into even smaller pieces with its insane difficulty, like that comment I posted on the every time thread said? :D
  16. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    No. ;)
  17. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I'm probably going to start Apuleius's Metamorphoses sometime this year. (school year, not calendar year)