Inspirational What goes around, comes around

By Anonymous, in 'English to Latin Translation', Jan 20, 2006.

1. Anonymous Guest

I would like "what goes around, comes around" translated or a phrase of similiar meaning would also be great. Thanks in advance.
    :D
  2. Gladiator New Member

You could say "quod severis metes" (as you sow, so shall you reap).
  3. Messalina New Member

Gladiator's version is good. Literal translation of 'what goes around comes around" would be " id quot circumiret, circumveniat."

I am dying of curiousity, what do you need this phrase for?
  4. Anonymous Guest

Its for a tattoo, i have "ut sementum feceris, ita metes" on my right wrist and wanted this for my left, i should be carefull though, i don't wanna look like a walking book of latin philosophy!
  5. starz9dust New Member

What goes around, comes around
  6. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    I'll venture

Quod circumvehitur, revehitur.
  7. Cato Consularis

• Consularis
    This is an excellent suggestion. Circumire - "to go around" is tempting, but this verb more correctly means to encircle/surround.

Also, the verb pair circumire and redire don't rhyme as nicely as Iynx's choices. The original phrase gains some of its power from the repetition of the word "around"; using a verb that ends in -vehitur captures that effect quite nicely.
  8. Iynx Consularis

• Consularis
    I have just stumbled on a rendering of this phrase in Beard's humorous "Latin for All Occasions". He has Id quod circumiret, circumveniat.
  9. james_lamb3 New Member

I am an avid artist who likes painting end of the world and scenes of destruction. I have recently been working with several concepts for new paintings, one of which involves a shield, i have also decided i want it in tattoo form. The quote in english is, " What goes around, Comes around."
    Most internet translators that i have found are incompetent to say the very least. :brickwall: I only found one translation and i'm not sure if it's even correct. The translation i was given was "Quis goes Inter, Adveho Inter." Is this correct? Can anyone correct it if it is wrong and if it is correct could anyone think of a way to say it with more eloquence?
  10. Andy Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I think you might know it is a crappy translation by the fact that the word "goes" still appears in it. ;)

Hmm...

The most literal fashion of expressing this would be:

Quod circumit, circumvenit, lit. What goes around (encircles), comes around (encircles).

However, by meaning, I would go with something like:

Quod facis tibi reddit --> What you do returns to you.
  11. james_lamb3 New Member

thanks,.... i saw that goes still appeared there and i was uncertain about it.
  12. krystal09 New Member

What goes around comes around

Hello everyone! Can someone please translate this into Latin for me?

"What goes around comes around"

Thanks a lot!
  13. scrabulista Consul

• Consul
    Re: Translation

Hmm....

Quod circumit circumvenit?

It might not be understood to a Roman (or even a modern translator) as the English idiom though.
    What you're saying is "what someone dishes out is eventually dished out to them." There might be a better idea out there though -- maybe a variation on the golden rule?
  14. krystal09 New Member

Sorry I can actually say for once that this translation is not for me. My brother is completely computer illiterate and can barely check his email let alone set up forum access. He asked that I find out what this translates into in Latin !

Thanks for all the help..
  15. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

Sorry for the insolence. Maybe: Quod datur, [iterum] reddetur.
  16. krystal09 New Member

No apology needed...I have seen some of your other posts and have come to realize you simply speak whats on your mind....that's not a bad thing! thanks!
  17. maximilianus Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh yes, Mat is very sincere when talking, he's full of interesting opinions, he's a great chap and best of all a true friend. I know him a lot :applause:

Thank you for helping Krystal, Mat!! :dancing:
  18. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

Gratias tibi ago, Maximiliane. Yeah, I tend to speak my mind and try not to be superficial. Honesty and sincerity are good values to have. I wish everyone would do this instead of hiding behind the bushes hehe :D
  19. krystal09 New Member

Mat and Max.....you two rock. Both of you feel free to speak your mind all you want....I enjoy hearing it!! About the translation though....my brother really wants it, whats your opinion on it?
  20. Matthaeus Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

Well, personally, I can neither praise nor criticise my translation, I only wrote what I thought best. Let some other Latinists take a stab at it...Bitmap wo sind Sie?