when did latin die?

By Aquilina, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Oct 6, 2013.

1. Claudilla Active Member

hem mea culpa; to repent properly let me offer this example of the usefulness of Latin: at the library Tuesday I riffled through a volume of essays on the ancient roman sacerdos; I counted French, German, Spanish, English...now I could read them all (okay German would be an effort) but wouldn't it make more sense to have the entire book in Latin? Certainly if we have Finnish, Dutch, Brasilian, Chinese, Russian readers and contributers.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Assuming it would be better for the entire book to be in one language, why specifically Latin? Why not English? More people will understand English.
  3. Ealdboc Aethelheall Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    For an instant I thought you guys were talking about the axolotl. I'd definitely want one of those! :)

Back on topic: here is one example of Latin being used creatively in the High Middle Ages:

Arthur et Gorlagon
    Hawkwood and Bestiola like this.
  4. Hawkwood .

• Civis
    A walking fish! Brilliant.
  5. Gollum87 Member

I have a question, and didn't know where to ask, so maybe this is the right place...

Latin "died" but it still lives through Romance languages...
    Which language spoken today (Spanish, Portugese, Italian, French..) is the closest to its Latin roots ???
    Is it Italian ? Italy was the centre of the empire, and the country where Rome is located, so I guess Italian language is more similar to Latin then French or Spanish are ??? Or maybe I'm wrong ? :) Thank you
  6. Ealdboc Aethelheall Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
  7. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    Many scholars have done research and discovered that
    Sardinian
    is the closest living language to Latin.
  8. When did Latin die? That is a very interesting question. Church Latin continues to be used, both in the Vatican City and in Latin Masses around the world, which are gaining in popularity, as people get more and more disgusted with the abuses of the "Mass of Paul VI". And I can't blame them. I am Jewish, but I have familiarity with Catholicism for personal reasons, so I have seen what is going on there.

Now, is Latin being used as a spoken language? Well, not really. There are some online news sources in Latin, and some other sites similar to this one. In terms of languages being closely related to Latin, I'll take the above poster's word for it that Sardinian is the closest. Of the major ones, I speak Spanish fluently, and can read some Portuguese. Spanish is still fairly close, but I don't know if it is the closest.

So I don't know if any of that helps any.
  9. Theodiskaz New Member

Sardinian is closest to CL vowel system, and some varieties of Sardinian never palatalized "c" before "i" and "e". Romanian maintains a vestigial case system for its nouns and still has neuters.
    Last edited by Iohannes Aurum, Apr 10, 2015
  10. Pablo222 Member

Salve,

One argument for me why I would say Latin is not dead is the liturgical life of certain Roman Catholics. There are, I think it is a little over 20 rites within the R.C.C., and one of those rites is the Latin Rite. Within the Latin Rite, there are two forms of Mass, of which, one is a Mass codified by Pope St. Pius V way back. It is entirely in Latin and still in use today. So there are some (granted, a minority) Catholics who attend this Latin Mass each Sunday. So, in this small but profound way, Latin is very alive and dear to these Catholics like myself, since it is very much apart of their weekly worship and liturgical life.
    Last edited by Pablo222, Apr 15, 2015
  11. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

When WWII ended, Sholem Aleichem had been dead for 29 years. So I think we can safely say that there was Yiddish literature around before WWII. Quite a bit of it, in fact.
  12. Abbatiſſæ Scriptor Senex

• Civis Illustris
    There have always been ghoſt writers.