Which Do You Prefer: Gildersleeve and Lodge Or Allen and Greenough?

By Big Horn, in 'Latin Language Resources', Apr 29, 2018.

1. Big Horn Member

I'm curious about people's opinions on this question. While Gildersleeve has the reputation as America's foremost classicist, I find the material in Allen and Greenough to be clearer and better written. Gildersleeve's writing seems obscure compared to that of Greenough, the principal author of A & G.
  2. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I've written elsewhere about my love for Gildersleeve's style; I can see, however, that the very idiosyncrasies that incite my affection might make it tedious or obscure to others. Another reason for my fondness for the volume is that my copy is printed, rather than offset. My Allen and Greenough is a mere reprint, and looks like one. These are not very serious factors, so I urge others to ignore them.
    Pacifica likes this.
  3. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    Both grammars have their pros and cons in my opinion. I've learned important information from both of them, so I think both should be used. I'm not sure which I prefer at this moment. I use A+G more because it's online in a more easy-to-navigate form.