You know you're a Latin junkie when...

By epaminondas, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Nov 15, 2012.

1. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    You know you're a Latin junkie when you are so used to randomly inserting Latin phrases like "gratias" and "optime!" into conversation that you accidentally say "Gratias" to your science teacher (who does not know Latin). :D
  2. Lysandra Canis

• Civis Illustris
    I can totally relate to this. I had to stop myself from saying "saluete omnes" to my Politics class yesterday. :D
    Dantius and Pacifica like this.
  3. Imperfacundus Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris
    When you catch yourself multiple times saying bélaya ('white' in Russian) with the meaning of Latin bella.
  4. Araneus Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris
    When some Latin quote or phrase pops up in a movie and people automatically look to you for a translation.
    Neil Song likes this.
  5. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    You know you're a Latin junkie when you pause while writing the above, search in vain for a concise English equivalent of legendus, and briefly consider just writing the whole sentence in Latin.
    Seraphinus and Dantius like this.
  6. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    I've had similar experiences.
  7. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Me too. You know you're a Latin junkie when you're writing an essay and end up looking up a Latin word (which came to mind first) to find possible English equivalents. :D

(While I was writing my Good Human Conduct essay, there was one point at which I could think of two Latin words to embody the concept I wanted, but no English equivalent that fit precisely. I wanted to talk about "promoting/cultivating/encouraging virtue in young people"; colo and foveo seemed to fit that range of meanings well, but I couldn't think of one English word that encompassed them all. In the end I went to L&S for ideas. :D)
  8. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    :D
  9. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    You know you're a Latin junkie when you procrastinate by lingering on this forum. :D
  10. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    You know you're not only a Latin junkie, but a crazy Latin junkie, when you have the following exchange with your cat (who has already been fed plenty of food, yes):

Cat (demanding food): "Meow! Meoooww! Meeeeeoooowwwwwwww!"
    Me (to cat): "Shut up! I don't know why you always think you need to eat more food than you need to eat."
    Me (to self): "Wow, that sentence would be so much less ambiguous in Latin."

:D
    Lysandra likes this.
  11. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    What's ambiguous in the English?
  12. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Well, it sort of sounds like the cat is thinking he needs to eat more food than (he thinks/knows) he needs to eat (i.e. if it were in acc-inf, this would be in subjunctive); whereas I meant that the cat is always thinking he needs to eat more food than (in actual fact) he needs to eat (i.e. indicative if it were in acc-inf).
  13. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    This happened to me today.
    You know you're a Latin junkie when you're having a conversation with your friends at lunch (about Latin class and other related matters) and someone else at your table (whom you barely know) says "Do you ever talk about anything except Latin? I've never heard you talking about anything else." :D
    Callaina likes this.
  14. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Maybe you should go watch some popular movies or sports or such just to expand your range of conversational topics a bit. ;)
  15. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    You've mentioned you have friends in that class that also like Latin and are good at it. So not everyone in that class is hopeless, then? Or are the friends in question in a higher class or something?
  16. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    They're in the same level of Latin class, but in a different section (they don't have it at the same period as I do).
  17. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    :( How did you end up in the class with all the people who don't care? That sucks.
  18. Dantius Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris
    It's random distribution.
  19. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    On second thought, (most) popular movies are boring. Latin, however, is fun. :D I would've liked to be at your guys' table in high school.
  20. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    O saevam Fortunam! *shakes fist at heavens*

Do you have class again today? What are you guys reading now?