You know you're a Latin junkie when...

By epaminondas, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Nov 15, 2012.

1. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    When you keep reading the title "De wonderbare maagd Sinte Amelberga" as "On/of the wonderful maiden Saint Amelia" even though you know (albeit hardly knowing any Dutch) that this "de" is actually a definite article.
    Dantius and Lysandra like this.
  2. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    What struck me, having looked up Amalberga (van Temse – not to be confused with Amalberga van Susteren or Amalberga van Maubeuge, as I might have done five minutes ago had I ever heard of any of them), was that wonderbare here must have a strictly etymological sense of 'associated with miracles'. But the English word 'wonderful' has never had that meaning, according to the OED – which I find rather hard to believe.
  3. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    "Miraculous", then? I was actually unsure what word to use.
  4. Etaoin Shrdlu Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Maybe, or possibly call her a miracle worker. Is she well-known in your part of the world? In the sense that you'd be quite likely to find people who were aware that she was reputed to have crossed a river riding a fish, much as we know St George killed a dragon and St Christopher carried Christ across a river.
  5. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Not as far as I know. She wasn't to me, at any rate, until I was asked to translate her life from Latin to English. That's how I came upon the above title on Google Books when comparing versions (the title is Dutch, but the book contains the Latin).
  6. Westcott Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    You know you're a medieval Latin Junkie when you see a lorry on the motorway marked XPO Logistics and you think Christophero.
    Cinefactus likes this.
  7. rothbard Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    You see "VENUS IN FUR" on a poster and your first thought is: that doesn't make sense.
  8. You spend two months killing neurons by trying to write a witty mock Martial epigram for your friend, though they take Spanish...
    Callaina and Pacifica like this.
  9. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    You read this:

"una ruptura de las reglas de coherencia de un TT, sean éstas de tipo gramatical, de combinabilidad léxica, congruencia semántica o de conformidad al conocimiento del mundo y de la experiencia acumulada"

And you think for a split second "Wrong case".
  10. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    When you hear the following sentence on the news and very much feel the (most likely unintentional) irony in it:

"Aucun dirigeant des 28 pays européens n'a félicité Félix Tshisekedi."

(It means "No leader of the 28 Europeans countries has congratulated/felicitated Félix Tshisekedi".)
    Callaina likes this.
  11. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Infelicem Felicem!
    Pacifica likes this.
  12. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    When you see the name Mavis as māvīs
    Terry S. likes this.
  13. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    When you misread "LA FIN DE L'URSS" ("THE END OF THE USSR") as "LA FIN DE L'URBS". :confused:
  14. [IMG]I once had an argument with me friends because I insisted it to be “magna double” since that is the plural of “magnum.”
  15. Cinefactus Censor

• Censor
    When you meet someone called Lena :eek-2:
    Pacifica likes this.
  16. Quintilianus Active Member

Neighbours of mine have called their new born daughter like this.
    I didn't say anything.

edit :
    Oh and apparently it's the 16th most given girl name in France in 2017.
    Welcome to France :p
    Last edited by Quintilianus, Feb 20, 2019
  17. Iohannes Aurum Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius
    ...or visit Siberia and find a large river of that name.
  18. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    When you catch this out of the corner of your eye and you think the first word is hoc.
    DSCN0521.JPG
    Jiacheng Liu and Bitmap like this.