You know you're a Latin junkie when...

By epaminondas, in 'General Latin Chat (English)', Nov 15, 2012.

1. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I found it a bit disturbing that faster, stronger, smarter and even humble (despite its spelling) are spondaic and then suddenly the line ends in 2 short syllables.

I think it would have been quite witty if they had found a different word than "humble" (though I don't know which word that should be) which scans as -v ... because then, the idea of humbleness would somehow be mirrored in the decrease of syllable length.
  2. Pacifica grammaticissima

• Civis Illustris
    Yes, me too. Well, what I hate isn't so much the fact that it's a noun, but the fact that it doesn't really work within the "to be" construction. What the author really meant was that you should have less ego, not be less ego, and yet "less ego" is illogically put there at the end of the adjective list depending on "to be".
  3. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    I think there is a parallel universe where I would have made the case that the author probably didn't know a lot of Latin and just tried to be pretentious with the few words he or she happened to have come across in life.

But your arguments are just too convincing. I'm not even kidding, I really think so.
  4. When you read through words like vociferate, concupiscent and commensurate and drop them in everyday speech like Cloudy with a Chance of Latin.
  5. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    You know how you sometimes do that thing where you're staring at, say, a concrete wall or a heap of fallen leaves or a cloud formation and you "see" a word "written" in it, just for a moment?

So yeah, you know you're a Latin junkie when you're staring at a boulder, and think you see sine on its surface (I did this yesterday when I was out on a hike).
  6. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Did that happen shortly before you fell into that thornbush? :p
    Pacifica likes this.
  7. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

Lol. No, it actually happened a couple hours after. :p
  8. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris
    Just curious: Did you take sine as a preposition or as an imperative?
    Callaina and Pacifica like this.
  9. Callaina Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris
    Preposition. :D
    Bitmap likes this.
  10. Bitmap Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Lol, that was my 1000th like ;P