Looking for an intermediate/advanced level composition textbook (not Arnold's).

I've finished Arnold's Prose Composition, but it's been a while, and I feel that I'm losing the knack for writing Latin, although I'm still reading quite a bit. But, again, I've been reading a lot of ML lately, which is great, but it doesn't exactly help me retain classical norms. So, I need a different composition textbook, but based on the same principle, preferably with grammar explanations and an answer key, but not beginner level. I think North & Hillard's will be good; is there anything else?Thanks for ideas!

Christianos

Are you using Bradley's edition of Arnold's Prose Composition? The appendix of that edition has 125 passages of extended prose for you to translate into Latin. If you've done those, then I'm quite impressed! If you haven't, I'd recommend that you try some of the later passages - they can be quite challenging (and they build on the knowledge gained by doing the exercises in the book).

I've used both books at university, but I prefer Bradley (I find the exercises more challenging and North and Hillard lacks an appendix of prose passages). However, if you just want to brush up on more basic Latin (i.e. just translate some sentences and not extended passages of prose) then North and Hillard will be suitable.

Hope this helps!

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

If you've done those, then I'm quite impressed!
So am I. I'd be fascinated to see how you got on with no.123, for example.

It begins: "When Lord Dalhousie proclaimed that the state of Jhansi had now become the possession of the British, the widow of the late ruler protested against his action. She might in time have learned to reconcile herself to a not uncommon fate, if the Government had not called upon her to pay debts which her husband had left. At first she could not conceal her indignation at such meanness; but when she found that her remonstrances were disregarded, she cunningly resolved to wear a smiling face in the presence of her masters whilst secretly waiting for an opportunity to gratify the bitter resentment which she harboured against them."

I think, Christianos, that the latest versions of Bradley's Arnold may well omit these passages.

Christianos

I had a look online while I posted, the 2005 edition seems to have the appendix with the passages intact (in fact, it seems almost unchanged from the ancient Bradley I used at University :) )

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Could you post a link to it for us? I'm still a reader of books on paper in the main.

Christianos

Hmm, I just had a look at the book in Google Books (I also prefer paper). I haven't been able to find a .pdf copy of the 2005 edition available for download, but I'll keep looking. Also, the 2005 edition is probably protected under copyright, so there's that consideration too. That said, some of the earlier editions will be out of copyright (but the edition I found lacked the appendix of prose passages).

Are you using Bradley's edition of Arnold's Prose Composition? The appendix of that edition has 125 passages of extended prose for you to translate into Latin. If you've done those, then I'm quite impressed! If you haven't, I'd recommend that you try some of the later passages - they can be quite challenging (and they build on the knowledge gained by doing the exercises in the book).

I've used both books at university, but I prefer Bradley (I find the exercises more challenging and North and Hillard lacks an appendix of prose passages). However, if you just want to brush up on more basic Latin (i.e. just translate some sentences and not extended passages of prose) then North and Hillard will be suitable.

Hope this helps!
Actually I was using an old 19th century edition of Arnold's, not Bradley's edition. There is a preview of Latin Composition Part 2 in the end, but the passages are just too hard, more like exercises in style, and my Latin is not good enough for that. Plus there's no answer key. I'll check out Bradley's, thanks! They look hard, though, and I hope the book has an answer key and examples to model your prose on...

Christianos

They look hard, though, and I hope the book has an answer key and examples to model your prose on...
I'm aware of an answer key freely available on the internet for the first section of Bradley's Arnold. The only answer keys I've found to the appendix of prose passages have been in books. I'm not sure if those books could be found on the internet, and they're probably out of print by now. I can't remember the titles, but I'll have a look in our library when I return to university.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The only answer keys I've found to the appendix of prose passages have been in books. I'm not sure if those books could be found on the internet, and they're probably out of print by now. I can't remember the titles, but I'll have a look in our library when I return to university.
I've got a paper copy that has specimen translations of all the passages. It says on the front cover "Strictly for the use of teaching staff" or something like that. I'll have a look for it.

ETA. Right, I've found it. It was published by Longmans and my copy is a 1962 printing.
This is what it says on the cover:
Key
To​
'Bradley's Arnold'​
Latin Prose Composition
Latin Versions​
contributed by various authors
N.B. - This key is for the use of Teachers only​
and is issued on the understanding that it shall​
not get into the hands of any Pupil.​