Invitation: Let us hear your Latin voice.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Lectures by whom? Show me where you read that. They are not teaching you well.
It is not that they are teaching me, I just looked random videos of lectures after you said it.
Sure.

Fato profugus Aeneas, venit Italiam et Lavinia litora.
I mean what is this rule that you meantion... Why did you rearrage the sentence?

D

Deleted member 13757

Why did you rearrage the sentence?
To show you that fato profugus is injected.

Aeneas Italiam, fato profugus, et Lavinia litora venit

in other words, it is made an absolute and should be treated as one single word. For this reason, a pause between fato and profugus is not elegant, even inadmissible. And for this same reason the line is written with breaks in the second and fourth foot.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I fear I'm not equipped to resolve this dispute, and can only give my own inexpert opinion. It seems to me that the principal caesura is after profugus. I suppose the position of a secondary caesura is arguable, but I honestly don't think it matters that much.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Don't you roll them in french?
No, absolutely not. And I am for the life of me unable to roll them correctly. It's a shame because most languages seem to have rolled r's. Why does the world like them so much?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Oh, I thought you had it too. :(
Some varieties of French do, though I think it's typically uvular rather than alveolar like Italian or Spanish. Mostly not, though.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Actually German doesn't always trill/roll it either.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Who was talking about German? I've only ever heard German trilled r in opera and stage plays. Or don't you mean the alveolar trill?

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Some varieties of French do, though I think it's typically uvular rather than alveolar like Italian or Spanish. Mostly not, though.
I couldn't really tell, I don't listen much french around. Both her and Lucius Aelius seem to say it good to me. o_O

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

German r's actually seem to me to be the closest ones to French r's, though not exactly the same.
Both her and Lucius Aelius seem to say it good to me. o_O
Me, seriously?? Well, thanks. Though it seems to me I only manage to make some hybrid sound between rolled r and l...

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

German r's actually seem to me to be the closest ones to French r's, though not exactly the same.
Me, seriously?? Well, thanks. Though it seems to me I only manage to make some hybrid sound between rolled r and l...
Hmm not sure, it seemed quite natural to me. I would say like that too I think. o_O Maybe Lucius rolls them too much too lol.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Who was talking about German? I've only ever heard German trilled r in opera and stage plays. Or don't you mean the alveolar trill?
This discussion made me think of it; yes PP, it is similar to French. Uvular is guttural, right?