Reader's Digest Article

The most recent issue of the Reader’s Digest contains a short article “English (According to the World),” telling anecdotes about expressions that non-English speaking individuals have used that struck readers of reddit.com as funny. My German is pretty good, so the two anecdotes about German speakers made sense to me. In one case, a German complained about the expression “back and forth,” saying that it did not make sense. “Why would you go back first?” he is quoted as saying. “It’s forth and back.” Of course, he is correct, and the German expression mirrors that: “hin und zurück.” In the other case, the German called gloves “hand-shoes,” which also is understandable in terms of his linguistic background. The German word for a glove is “Handschuh.”

There were examples from other languages, however, that made me wonder. A Dutch person called a merry-go-round a “horse tornado,” which brought forth comments from reddit.com reads about the movie “Sharknado.” Does anyone out there know whether the Dutch expression for a merry-go-round or carousel is really something like “horse tornado”?

Another example given was a Frenchman who refers to his elbows as “arm-knees.” A French-English dictionary gives me no basis for that phrase. Is there an actual French word that is anything like that?

One last example was a Russian-speaker who calls a headset a “voice helmet.” Checking a Russian–English dictionary showed no phrase anything like that. Is there any the real Russian expression like that?

(By the way, for those of you not familiar with “Sharknado,” it is a horror movie made for a TV science fiction channel about a tornado that picked hundreds of sharks up out of the ocean and dumped them on people sheltering from the wind and rain on land. It was so ridiculous that it became a “cult classic,” and even led to a sequel, “Sharknado 2.”)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Another example given was a Frenchman who refers to his elbows as “arm-knees.” A French-English dictionary gives me no basis for that phrase. Is there an actual French word that is anything like that?
Hello, native French speaker here. I've never heard a similar expression in French, but my idea is that maybe the person didn't know the word "elbow" and so tried to describe it by an analogy with the knee.
(By the way, for those of you not familiar with “Sharknado,” it is a horror movie made for a TV science fiction channel about a tornado that picked hundreds of sharks up out of the ocean and dumped them on people sheltering from the wind and rain on land. It was so ridiculous that it became a “cult classic,” and even led to a sequel, “Sharknado 2.”)
Oh my god, that looks very ridiculous indeed. I think the most ridiculous horror movie I've ever seen was "Trucks". It was about trucks moving by themsleves, going mad and attacking people.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The most recent issue of the Reader’s Digest contains a short article “English (According to the World),” telling anecdotes about expressions that non-English speaking individuals have used that struck readers of reddit.com as funny. My German is pretty good, so the two anecdotes about German speakers made sense to me. In one case, a German complained about the expression “back and forth,” saying that it did not make sense. “Why would you go back first?” he is quoted as saying. “It’s forth and back.” Of course, he is correct, and the German expression mirrors that: “hin und zurück.”
Whether it makes strict sense to say "back and forth" rather than "forth and back" depends on the way the phrase is used.

Someone on a swing doesn't necessarily swing forth and back any more surely than they swing back and forth, nor does a pendulum. No-one goes forth and back to look for something they've dropped in the road they've just travelled along, nor, likewise, would we describe someone as going forth and back who, to finish the job, repeatedly reverses their car over the still twitching body of a pedantic linguist whom they have just knocked down because he foolishly stepped forth off the pavement when he should have stepped back.

Ultimately, whether it makes sense to use back and forth rather than the reverse is academic because it's a fixed idiom.

Yoannis

Just to ponder about.

The dutch expression "Ga terug" is in English "Go back".

"terug" means literally "in the back"

Back and forth = Show me your back and go forward.

I am not sure. Just wondering....

Indonesian => English
Matahari = Eye (of the) Day, Sun

A word is word and it means nothing at all until a group of people put a certain meaning into the word.
Everyone can make words which has no meaning at all until...

lex dura

About the Dutch expression: the usual word in the Netherlands is "draaimolen", in Flanders they may also say "paardenmolen" (literally a "horse mill"). But I've never heard about a "horse tornado" .

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

"Horse tornado" sounds really dumb anyway.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

One last example was a Russian-speaker who calls a headset a “voice helmet.” Checking a Russian–English dictionary showed no phrase anything like that. Is there any the real Russian expression like that?

:eek: No idea.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In French a headset can be called "helmet", but not really "voice helmet" - it would sound like a description someone coming from centuries ago to our time could make.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Notice how in some languages, very tall buildings scrape clouds.

Ealdboc Aethelheall

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

About the Dutch expression: the usual word in the Netherlands is "draaimolen", in Flanders they may also say "paardenmolen" (literally a "horse mill"). But I've never heard about a "horse tornado" .
I've never heard a merry-go-round being referred to as a 'paardentornado' or 'paardenwervelwind' either. I think she made it up herself, associating the movement of the merry-go-round with that of a whirlwind.

P.S. - the best word for a merry-go-round is still Ringelspiel, I think.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris