Chronologi & Poetae in summa semper fuerunt in Hibernia Veneratione...

Bruodinus

Good evening,

below is part of a lengthy piece that I have been reading. I get the general meaning, but wouldn't mind a translation if it's possible from someone.
Grateful for any help that someone might give, if possible....many thanks indeed:)

Chronologi & Poetae in summa semper fuerunt in Hibernia Veneratione, Poetarum fictionibus, & persuasionibus multa commissa sunt a Proceribus Regni, priscis temporibus mala, ob quae non immetito eos expellere voluit Rex Dermitius, Fergusij filius. De chronologorum conditionibus & obligationibus, jam supra, circa initium huj libri c.4. egi. Inter alia, quae posteris memoriae tradiderut Antiquarij, maxime Genealogia nobilium familiarum Proceribus Hibernis summe semper placuit. Porro ipsi Chronologi, tam exacte arbores illas Chronologicas, & ramos omnes ab illa descendentes notabant, ut in Hibernia vix fit hodie notabilis familia, qua ex libris Chronologorum, suam deducere non posset Genealogiam, usque ad ipsum Adamum, quod ut videas gratiose Lector (cum mei muneris nec hujus loci sit, arbores omnes Genealogicas describere) pro hujus libri hic subjungam, veram Genealogiam Regiae O Brienorum familiae Principis, nimirum Tuomonia Comitis moderni: nec mihi Hiberni alij rationabiliter vitio vertent, si omissis aliarum familiarum Genealogijs, O Brienorum Genealogiam subjungam: Bruodinus namque sum, sic mirum non est, si familiae hujus illustrissimae, cujus Antecessores mei semper fuerunt Chronologi, recordabor, omissis pro nunc alijs.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Chroniclers and poets have always been held in highest respect in Ireland. Many evils were committed in olden times by the leading men of the kingdom due to the inventions and persuasions of poets, because of which king Dermitius, son of Fergusius, not undeservedly wanted to ban them. The subject of the situations and obligations of chroniclers, I have already treated above, towards the beginning of chapter 4 of this book. Among other things that students of the past* have transmitted to the memory of following generations, genealogy in particular has always been extremely appreciated by Irish leading men of noble families. Moreover, chroniclers themselves so precisely represented those chronological trees and all the branches descending from it/them**, that there is hardly any distinguished family today in Ireland that could not trace its genealogy from the books of chroniclers down to Adam himself. So that you may see this, dear reader (***as it is neither my role nor here the place to describe all genealogical trees), for this book's (?****) I shall annex here the true genealogy of the chief of the kingly O'Brien family, namely today's earl of Thomond: nor will other Irishmen reasonably reckon it as a fault on my part if I omit the genealogies of other families and annex the genealogy of the O'Briens: for I am a Bruodin, so it is not surprising if I give my thoughts to this most illustrious family, whose chroniclers my predecessors have always been, omitting the others for now.

* Or possibly "historians"?

** "Them" definitely seems to fit better, but it would have to be ramos omnes ab illis descendentes notabant. Any chance for illa to be a typo?

*** Shouldn't there be another nec in the parenthesis?

**** Is a word missing or am I missing something?

It seems like the author committed a big Anglicism with pro nunc.

Bruodinus

Pacis that's really well done - thank you. :)
To answer your questions :
it is definitely ramos omnes ab illa
there is no extra nec in parenthesis. So what I have is faithful to the original text: (cum mei muneris, nec hujus loci sit, arbores omnes Genealogicas describere).

yes you are right, there is a missing word - I put it here in bold text: pro sine hujus libri hic subjungam, veram Genealogiam

maybe for Inter alia, quae posteris memoriae tradiderut Antiquarij - 'students of the past' or 'historians' as you have suggested, we could simply use 'antiquaries'?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

it is definitely ramos omnes ab illa
Then it's "from it"; I suppose the author just switched (a little awkwardly in my opinion) from talking about several trees to talking about the branches of any one of them.
there is no extra nec in parenthesis. So what I have is faithful to the original text: (cum mei muneris, nec hujus loci sit, arbores omnes Genealogicas describere).
Then I suppose the parenthesis should be "as it is my role, but not here the place, to describe all genealogical trees" - could that make sense in the context?
yes you are right, there is a missing word - I put it here in bold text: pro sine hujus libri hic subjungam, veram Genealogiam
It must rather be fine (s and f are written very much alike in some old books): "I shall annex here for the end of this book...", or perhaps less literally "to conclude this book I shall annex here..."
maybe for Inter alia, quae posteris memoriae tradiderut Antiquarij - 'students of the past' or 'historians' as you have suggested, we could simply use 'antiquaries'?
Possibly.

Bruodinus

hello,
yes I think all of those changes do make sense, including the translation: 'as it is my role, but not here the place, to describe all genealogical trees'.
I think it reads rather well now. It seems that his writing style is sometimes awkward which leaves some ambiguity in what he means in places. :)
Thanks for coming back to me on this Pacis.