Question about daily study of Latin

Pablo222

Say a person's goal, who is a true beginner at Latin, wanted to be able to read and write in Latin well within a year; so how many hours a day should they dedicate in studying this language? (Yes, I know, an ambitious project, but it seems possible if they dedicate themselves.) Quid dicis? Gratias tibi ago.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The amount of time really depends on the type of learner you are, I suppose, so I can't give you a definite answer*. However, I can suggest that you practice consistently, whenever time permits, lest you forget some subjects. The answer to this question will also vary depending on what you mean by reading and writing Latin "well".

*I know my post in the Latin Beginners guide states that practicing at least ten minutes per day is optimal, but that line realistically should not have been included.

Pablo222

I understand your point, and well taken. Pertinacity is not my intent, but I will reword my question so that it becomes relative to yourself and whoever else might want to respond in here just so I can get some ball-park ideas.

If you personally went back in time to when you were a beginner and had the same goal, i.e. to read and write "well" within a year - by "well", I mean from a scale 1-20, a 12 or 15, where the 5th grader who just began studying Latin can read and write at a level 1 and St. Augustine of Hippo can read and write at a level 20 (or whoever else you might argue for the 20 mark) - how many hours, etc. a day would you dedicate "yourself" in order to reach that goal?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Probably several hours a day at the very least.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Probably several hours a day at the very least.
Probably, yes. And perhaps read authentic texts as soon as possible, because knowing grammar well is one thing, but not everything... I started reading and writing really "well" only a bit after I started reading enough (which I started doing more than one year after I began learning Latin*... If I'd started earlier, I'd probably have been able to read and write "well" earlier).

*In the first year, I didn't study everyday.

Ignis Umbra

Ignis Aeternus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I'm seconding both Imber's and Pacis' suggestions. If you begin reading and find yourself unable to make sufficient progress through a text, then perhaps this is an indicator that more time should be spent reviewing grammar.

Like Pacis, I didn't study Latin daily in my beginning year, but that was primarily due to the course curriculum which, at that time, wasn't very involved. My particular class met thrice a week, and usually on only one of those days was I taught new vocabulary and grammar. I believe I would have reached my current level of proficiency sooner had I studied daily.

malleolus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Several hours a day I should think although I wouldn't put the same emphasis on being proficient grammar-wise as I did when I first started.

Aescleah

My latin studies have gone up and down a bit study time wise. the first couple months i went crazy doing. 6 TO 11 hours a day then ran into hard times winter and work so i would get 4 hours crammed in the weekends found that was not working for me and started working toward 4 hours a a day 1.5 to 2 hour once in the evening then the same early mornings so average 10 to 15 hours a week not including weekends now that its winter its tough again so i will get 2 to 3 hours with more weekend hours. Point is the longer i do this the more important it is to do it daily one way or another. routine is important
i have been doing this for almost 1.5 years and it just seems like i have the right books the right study times and the pace is getting faster and more organized and i am seeing improvement granted i am doing self study and to boot extremely dyslexic so i suppose i am slower then the average bear.

best advice i can give is go with the flow latin can be alot of fun dont push you will get your own rythym it might even change during your studies

Ashley

Pablo222

Thank you everyone for your responses. They are helpful. I am still open to anymore...

Ashley, would you mind if I private message you somehow or email you? I think I might have some more questions about your above post...I wonder if there is a way to private message on here?

Kapooky

If you want to send a pm, click on Ashley's username which is beside her post. Then you click "Start a conversation".
hope that helped.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

One must have a certain number of posts to be able to send PMs. 25 posts I think.

Hawkwood

• Civis

My latin studies have gone up and down a bit study time wise. the first couple months i went crazy doing. 6 TO 11 hours a day then ran into hard times winter and work so i would get 4 hours crammed in the weekends found that was not working for me and started working toward 4 hours a a day 1.5 to 2 hour once in the evening then the same early mornings so average 10 to 15 hours a week not including weekends now that its winter its tough again so i will get 2 to 3 hours with more weekend hours. Point is the longer i do this the more important it is to do it daily one way or another. routine is important
i have been doing this for almost 1.5 years and it just seems like i have the right books the right study times and the pace is getting faster and more organized and i am seeing improvement granted i am doing self study and to boot extremely dyslexic so i suppose i am slower then the average bear.

best advice i can give is go with the flow latin can be alot of fun dont push you will get your own rythym it might even change during your studies

Ashley
That's dedication Ashley, I bet you're coming along in leaps and bounds.

Aescleah

Well i guess i am doing ok maybe its the journey instead of just wanting to read and write latin though that ofcourse is the ultimate goal.
Learning a new language i think can have some pretty profound effects on people if you can let yourself appreciate the process
Ashley

Hawkwood

• Civis

Well i guess i am doing ok maybe its the journey instead of just wanting to read and write latin though that ofcourse is the ultimate goal.
Same here. My only strategy is to waft aside long term goals and rigid time frames and instead, just enjoy the pursuit for an hour or so (or more) each day.

Aescleah

Well i have noticed that if all you do is focus on learning how to read and write it really well its easy to get frustrated because it can take so long. that would make anyone want to quit.

Ashley