Tattoo Heroes never die

Joshbanks

hey any chance someone could translate this as close as possible? its for a male, thinking of ideas for a tattoo

Thankyouu!

Theopyrus

Vir is not exactly the same as heros (which also exists as herus, i in Medieval Latin), however they can be synonyms in certain contexts. But for the modern sense of the word, I think herus is better.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Vir is not exactly the same as heros (which also exists as herus, i in Medieval Latin), however they can be synonyms in certain contexts. But for the modern sense of the word, I think herus is better.
But herus is already an alternate spelling of erus, which it is far more likely to be mistaken for than understood correctly as some weird Medieval variant of heros that I'd never heard of before.

Lucius Vorenus

• Patronus

Joshbanks, the translation already uses a form of morior. moriuntur means "they die" (so, in your sentence "Heroes ... die"). morior means "I die". Technically, morior is the first person singular and moriuntur is the third person plural. If you want "perish", that would usually be said as pereunt ("they perish").

The common word in Latin for "never" is numquam (sometimes nunquam). nequando is not in my Classical Latin dictionaries (Pocket Oxford and Lewis & Short). It looks like a contraction of "not when" or "not at any time". Is it non-classical Latin?Where did you get it from?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

It's just ne quando written as a single word. It wouldn't work here.

Theopyrus

But herus is already an alternate spelling of erus, which it is far more likely to be mistaken for than understood correctly as some weird Medieval variant of heros that I'd never heard of before.
Well, there are some poems called Carmina Burana. In the 1930's Carl Orff composed the music for some of them. In one of the poems (a very recorded version, by the way) you will find this:

"In taberna quando sumus,
non curamus quid sit humus,
sed ad ludum properamus,
cui semper insudamus.
quid agatur in taberna
ubi nummus est pincerna,
hoc est opus ut quaeratur;
si quid loquar, audiatur.
[...]

Tam pro papa quam pro rege
bibunt omnes sine lege.
Bibit hera, bibit herus,
bibit miles, bibit clerus,
bibit ille, bibit illa,
bibit servus cum ancilla,
bibit velox, bibit piger,
bibit albus, bibit niger,
bibit constans, bibit vagus,
bibit rudis, bibit magus,
Bibit pauper et aegrotus,
bibit exul et ignotus,
bibit puer, bibit canus,
bibit praesul et decanus,
bibit soror, bibit frater,
bibit anus, bibit mater,
bibit ista, bibit ille,
bibunt centum, bibunt mille."

They are very interesting. You might like them. And they are very famous.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I'm aware of the Carmina Burana: as you say, it's a rather well known compendium. In this particular poem, however, hera and herus respectively mean 'mistress' and 'master', so I can't see its relevance to the question whether herus is a Medieval variant of heros. Do you have any other source as a basis upon which you assert this?

Theopyrus

I'm aware of the Carmina Burana: as you say, it's a rather well known compendium. In this particular poem, however, hera and herus respectively mean 'mistress' and 'master', so I can't see its relevance to the question whether herus is a Medieval variant of heros. Do you have any other source as a basis upon which you assert this?
I have a couple of verses but you make me doubt about whether it is actually a variant or some other meaning. The most common word that is translated by hero is vir.

I don't remember where I got that idea but if I find more evidence I will post it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I have a couple of verses but you make me doubt about whether it is actually a variant or some other meaning.
Like Imber Ranae, I've only ever seen herus as a mere variant spelling of erus, "master".
The most common word that is translated by hero is vir.
I doubt it. Vir simply means "man", or at best "true (courageous, virile enough, etc.) man" - as the English "man" does too in fact, as in "come if you're a man" - but not "hero". I would think that the word most commonly translated as "hero" was, unsurprisingly, heros.

Theopyrus

I doubt that vir means simply a man, alone. As long as I can remember, when a man is called vir, it is meant to be someone remarkable, someone that can be admired and it is frequently used with other adjectives to denote the quality of that vir. A simple man is not called vir. I am using loosely the concept of hero, but certainly vir can cover it at some extent.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I doubt that vir means simply a man, alone.
? Strange idea. Look up the definition in any dictionary.
remarkable, someone that can be admired and it is frequently used with other adjctives to denote the quality of that vir.
The "remarkableness" is then expressed by the adjective, rather than by "vir". And "vir" can also be seen with negative adjectives, or simply alone meaning nothing more than "man", really. But again a look at a dictionary will suffice to confirm you this. It can (but isn't necassarily) be used with the connotation "real man" as I said above, but between this and "hero" there's quite a bit of a stretch.