Let us hear and analyse each other's Latin pronunciation

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Salvete Omnes!

Let me know what you all think. This one was fun to read, but I don't think I'm pronouncing "EU" in Europa correctly though. This is my restored classical Latin pronunciation. Very very American English:)
Great job! Thank you also for being the first in this new pronunciation thread to submit your recording (apart from me). It sounded well and in that respect I'm glad that you followed well quite all the prosody marks in the text which I had put there (accents, lengths).

My comment:
- "Eu" <- as you predicted. Must be like "e" in "egg" + for a simplification "w" as in "widow" (in fact there is just vowel "u" and the "w" is just a secondary effect, but I want to keep the description & recommendation simple for you). This was probably paradoxically the biggest problem of the recording, but only because that "damned" word is repeated like 10 times in the recording so it sounds again and again :p
- "r" was better than the last time.... sometimes you can hear a bit of some t/d, but not really that much as in the preceding recording :)
- sometimes when saying Italia (0:23) one must be careful not to make the accented "a" long, it's short and just stressed ( + not prolonged while stressed, as opposed to what Italian does when stressing syllables: actually prolonging them).
- in "aegyptus" the "y" apart from being stressed (which maybe you didn't emphasize that much), your lips should be rounded when pronouncing it. In my recording some slight rounding can be heard, though I agree I could have round my lips even more. So the resulting vowel is like German ü or "u" in French "venue". On the other hand it's a Greek vowel here, so we would expect lots of Romans to say it as you did just with "i", lips unrounded.
- that was quite a long "ā" in Āfricā :) (But I can't say it's wrong... just very long :) <= though I praise you that you keep the prosody here right: that those texts of mine fulfill their functions)
- Syria <- same issue and story with "y" as with Aegyptus (the Greek vowel); I would say that with this word I hear the most not 100% pure "r" and again a kind of a mixture with d/t. But in other words it's much better...

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I made recordings of all six texts. I like to think I use Sidney Allen's reconstruction of pronunciation, including nasalized vowels, except that I don't pronounce qu as [kʷ] but as [kʷw], as in Spanish. Since there's no possible reconstruction for intonation, I also just use my native Salvadoran Spanish intonation. I'll be waiting for your criticism. Have at it! :D

And while we're at it, a couple comments on hidden quantity. (Godmy, you already know how much I love discussing hidden quantity...)

1. I was surprised that usque appeared with a short u rather than a long ū. The word's descendent in French is jusque, which suggests a long ū. But interestingly, the etymological entry in the Trésor de la langue française (informatisé) says Latin actually had both u and ū in this word (“Quant à u pour o (josque), il vient d'un doublet déjà latin avec (FEW t. 14, p. 74a)”). Pražák and Novotný's dictionary marks it short, but Schenk's dictionary actually marks it long.

2. I was also surprised that forma appeared with a short o rather than a long ō. I thought it had a long ō, and that I had seen it with such in textbooks (I should go check this), but indeed even Pražák and Novotný's dictionary marks it short (and so does Schenk's). Maybe it's just because I'm aware the inherited descendant in Spanish is horma, which suggests Latin had a long ō there (otherwise it'd be *huerma, with the normal development of stressed short o, that is, -ue-).

Attachments

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

Well, thank you, Seraphinus ... that's a quite a lot of listening :)) And this might possibly take me even few hours...

Also thank you about all the comments and the description of your pronunciation.

About the hidden quantities:
- I guess this must be one of the cases where the length in the classical Latin is controversial and I simply decided to go for the non-controversial option + that's also the policy Pražák-Novotný takes (but, when speaking about Czech dictionaries that show the hidden quantity, I must give you that the Czech-Latin one I told you about [Quitt-Kucharský], shows it with a long one also, when looking at the lemma ). Well treat this then as a kind of academic compromise, where not to write the macron is the best option, if you're not sure. But I'll take this into account, if you read it long (and I might read it long too, inadvertently)
(btw. that Schenk's dictionary is "Caesarian" = it is made especially for the new readers of Caesar - at that time, when it was made, it was directed at the high school students who would use this as their first text, so that's why it is so concise)

- forma: this is a similar story as with the word before. That Quitt-Kucharský Czech-Latin dict. gives a long one here, but it's probably too controversial (or was at that time) for Pražák-Novotný to implement it, since they really tried to be as much careful as possible even after the curagous decision to include the hidden quantities at all (no doubt for the benefit of the high school students too). But yes, I remember seeing this one with a long vowel too... But right now, I don't recall if Allen mentions this case at all or not - or what the today opinion is.

By the way: the recordings I have done in this thread were done on Christmas and still contained some popular, but not strictly correct elements (as fully pronounced -m, qu- as [kw], no change in the vowel quality in ē and ō but just simple quantity change). Today my philosophy of how I do everyday recordings has changed (as you might have heard in some of my recordings for LLPSI students). But all of these imperfections were stated in the disclaimer where I describe the pronunciation I used. I just feel I should repeat it.

=================================

So thank you again for your recordings. They are all quite great and I would be tempted to say that therefore there's not much to criticize, but since you've given to it so much work, it would be unfair to make my assessment so short and I'll try to pick on some many times meaningless details ;) But please hold in mind that anything I'll say from this moment on just omits the fact that the recordings are generally very good - I'm saying this as not to make you frustrated if I manage to write a long list. ; )

(I actually didn't expect somebody would post so many recordings at once... in the past at a similar thread I used to give a feedback just to e.g. 30 seconds of only one recording since I found out that writing this can go to hours... But because it's you : P)

1) In all of your recordings you speak quite fast... and, to say this honestly, I think that comes as a detriment for the recordings, since usually the fast speakers also tend to hide some potential imperfections in the fact that it's been said fast. I think it would be best to ask you, in the case you would ever upload anything again, to speak more slowly as to give me a fair chance to tell you whether I think that something could be done differently or not and so we don't argue whether you said something correctly or didn't, because it was so fast. And we'll be dealing with this problem probably a lot in these recordings.
- This is after all a "prounciation analysis thread" and so it shouldn't be hindered by the speaker potentially hiding something : P (I told the same to Aap not long time ago on a similar occasion...)

2) Due to the problem described in number 1, there will be many instances of double-consonants which seem to be said as simple consonants AND also quite a few cases where I'm persuaded that you indeed said simple consonants, no matter the speed. So this will probably be the chief problem I will repeat again and again... I realize that in e.g. conversation/loose speech this might come to us today as normal, but this is after all a careful prepared recording that you could edit, cut in it, redo as many times as you could. So I think it should therefore be criticized :- )

----------------------------------------------------------

Edit (after writing the lists): most of the mistakes are alike and it's just one or two mistakes repeating over and over again, so the actual list would be much much shorter.

Caesar:
- in Aquītānī I can't decide whether I heard AquīTĀnī or AquīTAnī ... I guess one should be more careful when there are 3 long vowels in the row not to reduce any of them (but keep the others long)​
- in appellantur I might hear some slight pp, but I definitely don't hear any ll
- in differunt I hear only one f​
- in ab Aquītānīs - again, short a, should be long.​
- fortissimī - I can hear the accent where it should be, but I don't hear the actual ss
- in hūmanitāte - I think you pronounced the first consonant (possibly inadvertendly, since you do it well elsewhere) as a velar voiceless fricative (while you know it's properly a glottal voiceless fricative), also the last a - again ,the stress was there, but not length​
- longissimē - absence of ss​
- in mercātōrēs - I hear the stress in ō, but not the length (probably the rapid speech doesn't help it as I mentioned earlier [and it would be really helpful, if you recorded next time a recording where you speak slowly...] though I natively am able to tell the lengths in a very rapid speech usually)​
- commeant - I don't hear any mm​
- quite in all words with -que (minique, proxique) I don't hear any accent in the penultimate syllable (or it is indistinguishable from e.g. initial accent)​
- in bellum - well done ll :) Here I really think you did it well.​

But otherwise well done! As I said, it's just details... though that's the point of this thread, right.​

Deus inter...:
- here in glādiātōrum I think I would say that the ō here is a long vowel (as I head this problem in Caesar), but probably still relatively shorter than the others... but maybe at this point it is just my problem and it's actually alright. I just thought I would mention it.​
- also I'm a bit uncertain in clārissimus, fortissimus whether I hear the geminate s or not, since the stress is quite strong here and it certainly makes the right illusion, but I'm unable to tell... it certainly is not especially (like twice as) longer, though it might be longer a bit...​
- in vērō I rather here vēro
- I praise very nicely done closer vowel quality in ō in exerceō! :) (I would do that in my present recordings, I didn't do that in the recordings I did on Christmas, which are those you have listened to. But that's in the disclaimer about the pronunciation used.​
- in Rōmānī I definitely heard just RoMAnī (that is, two vowel lengths omitted, the third one correctly, and correctly done accent) <- this should probably be payed attention to.​
- dēlectābitis - correct stress, but short a
- in Deus fīēs... I'm actually sorry myself, since I forgot to add a macron to -ēs (the original had no macrons, I added them for this thread and sometimes I just missed something....) :-/​
- I praise your ss in glōriosissima - and I compare it with the two superlatives at the beginning, then I must say that this one was actually done very correctly :)

Imperium Rōmānum:
- I praise the lengths in the title of the text Rōmānum!
- In the first three sentences I'm not able to tell that the ablative ā ending was actually long there (the speech is rapid... ok, but still). And as I said before, I will VERY much appreciate, if your future recordings are done in a slower pace : ). The fourth sentence in Eurōpā sunt seems to be Ok.​
- Hispānia, similarly as before, I rather thing that I hear short accented a...​
- in the Eurōpā sunt right before Aegyptus, I definitely hear a short a
- in Aegyptus you have a choice, but given how well you have already received even some obscure elements of the restituted pronunciation (as the final -m nasalization) I would expect that you would accept this one too: that is, that the y here (the accented y) should an educated Roman pronounce rather rounded as [y], as it was pronounced in Greek: since this is a Greek word. Now, it is reasonable to think that in the popular/later speech this was perfectly regularized to the unrounded version you yourself said... but as I say: why not to use it since we already adopt the ways the educated speakers would probably say it (since that is the only thing we really reconstruct and can reconstruct, as you know). Then Eurōpā follows, which seems to have short a again...​
- also the nōn in the same sentence seem to me rather as non (as you might expect in a similar form in some Romance languages... but in Latin it's definitely long)​
- Āfrīcā - I believe I hear the ablative ending done well in this case, but the initial Ā was said shortly (as we would do in modern languages, but not in Latin).​
- in the first instance of the word Gallia I heard quite well ll, but in the second one it sounds just as l + it's followed by in Eurōpā where I'm not sure whether you've included any long vowel at all (maybe the ō could be argued for, but the ā is definitely short)​
- funny, in Syria I almost think you rounded it (unlike what I heard in Aegyptus) - the y. Also in this sentence the ā in Eurōpā was done well :)!​
- the other instance of the word Syria on the other hand seems to be unrounded again... (and in the same sentence the ablative ā seems short again, while it was correct when you said first in Asiā a few sentences before)​
- the final Eurōpā... again, not sure about the ā: it seems somehow that you thought it was long in your head while saying it, but the rapid way you said it butchered it and made it relatively short... :) (at least that would be my impression)​
But I think that apart from the y thing, all my issues were just with the prosody, which is I think a good way. Many people come here having problems with the basic sounds... you are past this. (Only in the Caesar recording I detected one velar fricative in that hūmanitāte, but that was all).​
Urbs Rōma...:
- in rīpā: short a​
- passuum: the ss got lost a bit, though this might be a bit awkward to say: ss + doublesyllabic u​
- locō: I'm unable to say whether there's long or short ō, relatively it seems almost short, though not clearly short...​
- collēs: maybe a trace of ll, but comes out on 90% as a single one​
- possunt: the first syllable is probably longer, I give you that, but hard to say whether really ss
- Rōmāna: short accented a
- collēs ^ again​
- colle ^​
- I very much praise the lengths as you have done in Capitōlīnō - maybe the ō was ended prematurely (and it wasn't so beautiful close/high vowel quality as you've done once in exerceō in the other recording, thought I haven't done this myself in those recordings that are here), but that was very well done!​
But in all in all: very well done! This might the best rendition of this part of Rōma Aeterna I've heard so far either here or at the sister-former thread. :)
Harrius:
- Just some funny thoughts I have about the "Dursley" in Latin: I guess one couldn't really criticize e.g. that you have pronounced the first vowel as a Roman would, knowing nothing of some English conventions or having none customs in his own language how such foreign words are commonly pronounced in that country with some kinds of elements of the native pronunciation (I mean an approximated pronunciation), but on the other hand: you pronounced the final two graphs ey just as if you approximated the word to Roman phonotactics as I would expect (and as I did in my pronunciation) while retaining a non-approximated vowel in "u" so there is a hybrid now :) I don't think I even could have an issue with this, since it's incredibly hard to tell how to tackle this from the viewpoint of Romans... I just thought that it was an interesting combination to read the first vowel in a Roman way and the other vowel as if approximating... I in my pronunciation tried to approximate both vowels with respect to *some* Roman phonotactics (that is saying approximately "a" in the first syllable). That's also how we do it commonly here + in the Czech dubbing of the movies - though I'm saying this rather just as an anecdote than as any argument...​
- vīvēbant: short accented e
- superbiā: the ā seems short​
- dīcēbant: short accented e
- illīus: not sure I've heard ll here​
- tōtō: not sure again about the final length...it's kind of semi-reduced, but I praise the rr in terrārum! :)
- crēdās: short a​
Otherwise very nice and intelligible! :)
Ovid:
(and here I will probably pay attention to the prosody even more than I do normally, sine here it's actually important : P)

- mūtātās: possibly well done both ā lengths, but the u was rather short (or quite shorter than the following vowels)​
- vōs: short o​
- in mūtāstis the ū seemed better here​
- I praise the ll in illās! :)
- in adspīrāte: this has been here before. I don't say in this particular case the ā was short here, but surely shorter than the preceding ī​
- hmm, you seem to accept the caesuras I proposed, but in the line after tōtō there is suddenly none... :p (and that might create again a kind of illusion for me that the tōtō was quite as long as would like, at least the final vowel, though this might just the illusion caused by a suddenly missing caesura).​
- with chaos I guess we should be careful (now I don't know how I did it myself Edit: actually I did this myself... with a kind of long -s), because we are somehow tempted to make the -os long (it probably sounds well, more melodic), but it must be strictly short... though here it makes no difference, since it will be a heavy syllable anyway... At least that was my impression that you prolonged it a bit.​
Nonetheless, very well done and I even liked the rhythm/general intonation you have made there... so thank you for this, I think nobody has yet posted this one :) And this was quite a successfull attempt I would say :)

So again, most of the mistakes were of the same character, but repeated again and again and mostly (in 95%) they were prosodic mistakes which is probably the hardest part of the whole pronunciation model. But quite always all the basic sounds were done really well and also the stresses were adhered to.

I would just like to excuse myself for the next time: I'm not going to write long feedback on minutes and minutes of recordings :p (I'm probably too lazy to do that), so maybe one shorter (under one minute) recording at a time... and read slowly! ;- )

Anyway, I generally liked all your recordings and thank you for them!

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Whoa, I was expecting a much shorter review, to be honest. I appreciate your comments. Some responses:

• I spoke fast because if I had spoken more slowly, I would've made less errors. I know it sounds illogical at first, but consider that this is more faithful to my actual pronunciation under the pressure of time (though it still isn't like spontaneously speaking Latin), and that native speakers of Latin would typically have spoken just as fast if not faster.
• I had no idea I tend to pronounce long ā as basically a short one. Re-listening to the recordings they do sound short.
• Re-listening to the recordings, the geminate voiceless fricatives of differunt, fortissimī, longissimē actually sound long to me, or in any case, at least longer than how I would pronounce them in Spanish. I agree it'd be better if I pronounced them longer.
• I find [hu] legitimately very difficult to pronounce, as it's [xu] in my dialect of Spanish. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it turns out I do the same thing in English with who. I'll try to do pronunciation exercises to reduce this.
• I actually know that -que moves the stress like that, but I have the bad habit of forgetting about it...
• On the y of Aegyptus and Syria, I actually attempted to pronounce them as [y]. They don't sound unrounded to me, but I could pronounce them with greater roundedness maybe.
• On Dursley, the pronunciation is in fact based on a Roman adapting English sounds. Thing is, the phoneme traditionally transcribed as /3˞/ is actually pronounced as what would be, in normal IPA, [ɵ˞], in the dialect of Vancouver (just as in most places in North America afaik). It's rounded and phonetically really close to It seemed to me the clear choice to emulate the pronunciation of [ɵ˞] within Latin was /ʊr/. Hence /dʊrsliː/. If you don't believe me when I say "/3˞/" is basically pronounced [ɵ˞], just look at these diagrams from Peter Ladefoged's Course in Phonetics. Notice how, for the Californian speaker, it's practically the same vowel; it's just that one is rhotic and the other one isn't.

Thanks again for all the time you took to do the review!

Bonifilius

I confess that I find your transcriptions indigestaque and congestaque in the Ovid poem, putting a stress on the short a before -que, very odd!

quem dīxēre chaos: / rudis indīgestaque mōlēs
nec quicquam nisi pondus iners / congestaqu(e) eōdem

This is not, I think, the pronunciation recommended by W. Sidney Allen. Moreover, Ovid would surely not put a stress at this point in the line using a word that didn't end in -que, so these two lines clearly prove that this pronunciation (putting a stress on a short vowel before -que) is incorrect.

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I confess that I find your transcriptions indigestaque and congestaque in the Ovid poem, putting a stress on the short a before -que, very odd!

quem dīxēre chaos: / rudis indīgestaque mōlēs​
nec quicquam nisi pondus iners / congestaqu(e) eōdem​
Yes, this was a mistake, both in the transcription and subsequently probably in the pronunciation of those TWO WORDS (not the whole line, the two words, that's a difference). However, it plays no role for the meter, since my reading didn't rely on the distribution of the stress at all. They are marked there just as a bonus. Unfortunately I cannot edit the message now.
This is not, I think, the pronunciation recommended by W. Sidney Allen.
Could you please specify how exactly it is not the pronunciation recommended by Allen? If you mean those two words with the misplaced stress, I concede that is/was a mistake, but otherwise what's wrong with it? I'm curious.

...so these two lines clearly prove that this pronunciation (putting a stress on a short vowel before -que) is incorrect.
How do they prove it? The only thing which is proved by this is that those two words were transcribed and pronounced wrong (I cannot edit it now and make it correct), but how does it prove that the whole pronunciation is incorrect or that even those two lines are in all incorrect? As I said earlier, my reading doesn't rely on the distribution of the stress at all.

It rather seems to me as though you might have committed the logical fallacy of composition. (= one thing is wrong [one type of mistake is present], therefore it is all wrong! But that's of course not an argument, but a fallacy.)

But I'm curious to hear your explanation how those two words clearly prove that the whole pronunciation is incorrect. I think you've quite grossly exaggerated your point. And of course I won't object if you post your own recording, since this is after all a pronunciation analysis thread and you surely have something to say!
========================

Off-topic: Iohannes Aurum , could I be permitted to edit the first post at this thread to correct some mistakes that have bee pointed out - with making it very clear that it has been edited (and maybe even re-uploading some recordings)?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I don't know if it can be said, on the basis of strict logic, that those two words prove that putting stress on a short vowel before -que is incorrect; rather, the fact that a short vowel is not stressed before -que shows that those transcriptions are incorrect. But it comes to much the same thing, and Godmy admits that his transcription of those lines was incorrrect, so what exactly are we arguing about? Or have I missed something?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

His point is this: if we follow the rule that the syllable preceding enclitic -que must always have the accent, then in those two words the accent and ictus don't correspond, which would be rather unusual for the last two feet of an hexameter. This suggests that the rule is not strictly correct. I have no idea what Allen says about this (nor do I consider his judgements necessarily unquestionable, as some seem to).

Godmy's transcription follows the 'rule' in question, putting the accent before -que but not on the ictus, which is the whole point. If that's in error then you must logically concede that the rule is wrong.

Bonifilius

Yes, I apologise if my post sounded over-critical! What I mean is this, that Professor Allen mentioned that there was a controversy over whether words which have a short vowel before -que such as totaque should be stressed on the penultimate or the ante-penultimate, that is totáque or tótaque. As far as I remember (I don't have the book with me at present) he came down in favour of the latter. My point was that lines like these two of Ovid, in which if we pronounced indigestáque it would put an otherwise unparalleled stress on the second syllable of the fifth foot, prove that the Romans themselves pronounced such words as tótaque and so on. I would be delighted to take up your challenge to produce a recording as soon as I have an opportunity!

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

We discussed the matter of how word accent is affected by enclitics in this thread. I don't hold to the strict rule myself, for precisely the reason that Bonifilius states.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Off-topic: Iohannes Aurum , could I be permitted to edit the first post at this thread to correct some mistakes that have bee pointed out - with making it very clear that it has been edited (and maybe even re-uploading some recordings)?
Please feel free, but make sure you actually note that the post has been edited.

Bonifilius

Though I do, as a matter of fact, - although your reading is very excellent and clear in most respects - find it a little spoiled by the adoption of an open sound for long e and o. Surely it is not too difficult to attempt a long close pure e and o, as in the Italian piacere and professore or the German See and so? Admittedly the diphthongal sound of English say or so sounds wrong when reading Latin, but the open sound of stair or saw doesn't seem quite right either. Somehow we must steer between the Scylla of one and the Charybdis of the other.
instruit et natum "medio"que "ut limite curras,
Icare," ait, "moneo, ne si demissior ibis
unda gravet pennas, si celsior, ignis adurat;
inter utrumque vola!"

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I wasn't indeed aware that there was a controversy over reading the word with a short vowel before -que when it comes to the accent, but I might have applied a certain rule myself unknowingly and therefore producing that transcription (and reading) I have produced. Nevertheless, if I'm able to change the post I will change it then to the maybe less controversial third-from-the-end-syllable accent for these particular words, so it coincides with the ictus.

Bonifilius: Ok.
About the ē and ō - you are right of course and I have stated this in the disclaimer for the recordings as I was already aware of this deviation... But this was 6 months ago. My personal pronunciation & philosophy has quite changed and developed from that time. Now I attempt to pronounce qu- either as labiovelars or as sometimes proposed (not sure if particularly by Allen) as palato-velars before the front vowels. Also I do regularly try today to pronounce the ē and ō with the close quality. Also I do try now to do something with the final -m. The way I read these long vowels before was no doubt affected by my native language whose phonology I linked to (which is in its long-short vowel pairs quite similar to these aspects of Latin phonetics).
So again: if I'm able to change the first post, I might re-upload the recordings... or I might leave there the old ones and upload some new ones, since e.g. labiovelars might seem too exotic or hard to follow for novices. (also this is the one aspect of the reconstructed pronunciation which is quite never used in the practice in the actively speaking community, schools and various circulī...).

Please feel free, but make sure you actually note that the post has been edited.
Thanks, I asked mainly because my "edit" button doesn't work at that post anymore: it's been too long, so could this be somehow re-enabled for that specific post?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

What evidence is there for Latin qu being a labial–velar as opposed to a simple labialized velar?

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

You mean what evidence is there for it being [kw] instead of [kʷ] or the other way around? Anyway, so according to Allen the majority of evidence points to the latter and that's also what he recommends that should be done and indeed that seems to be the consensus anywhere I look at the phonetic transcriptions of the Latin words containing qu (which goes in contrast with what the people speaking/reading Latin actually pronounce, who almost always pretend nothing like that exists and just read it like [kw] (like I did) ).

So the evidence for the labiovelar (in the favour of [kʷ]) is there in Allen on the page 16-20... I suppose I could enlist the individual proofs, but that might do the book injustice. (but if you insist, I will attempt to do it :) )

On the same pages he also mentions the minority of evidence pointing to [kw] (as it being so in the modern Italian, e.g.)

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Thank you very much for your tremendous efforts, I'm grateful :)

Would you mind if we removed the messages in this thread from the message number #38 up to now so the thread is not clogged with off-topic? (Or, if not wanted, move the messages elsewhere?)
Done.

Bonifilius

I've decided to take up Godmy's challenge to upload a few recordings. I apologise for the very poor quality (at present I don't have a proper microphone, just my laptop), also for the errors. In particular it is difficult for an Englishman to pronounce a long 'a' in the Italian style. Anyway, here they are as food for discussion. I will see if I can make better quality recordings at a later date.

Attachments