Life Feeds On Life

Iustinus

It's a lyric from the metal band Tool, the refrain is "life feeds on life feeds on life..."

From a biological standpoint, this notion rings true. Just not sure how best to express it in Latin...

Vita vitam alit.

This can just mean "life nourishes life." I like the allusion of predation in "to feed upon," which is lacking with alit. Perhaps there's another verb that would work better. Any ideas?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

If we neglect vowel length the same effect as in the song can be produced in Latin with vita vescitur vita vescitur vita... The verb pascitur could be used the same way.

Iustinus

I'm seeing a note that vescitur sometimes takes the ablative. Without the repetition, is it proper to still use the accusative for the direct object?

Vita vitam vescitur.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

It regularly takes the ablative in classical Latin, and that's specifically why I used it. If you use the accusative you won't get the same effect as seen in the refrain of the song.

Iustinus

I see... Very cool. Thanks. :)

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

'Deponent' verbs taking inſtrumental ablatives are 'deponent' only in that their active forms, which would have been tranſitive, are not uſed. Thus 'ueſcitur' might equally well be tranſlated passively as 'is fed'.