Pronunciation Criticism

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It may be that ô is a bit longer. In this interjection in particular, I mean. It also seems to me the quality may differ, but I see two ways I could pronounce it and I'm not sure which is more correct.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Wiktionnaire gives "au" as an homophone of "ô", so maybe there isn't supposed to be a difference, after all.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Wiktionnaire gives "au" as an homophone of "ô"
This is known as the homophones of O game. In addition to putting a little hat on it, one may spell this sound as au, aux, eau, eaux, ot, ots, os – have I missed any out? It's early.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Le jour réveillé, elle se lève, s'habille, et ne dit rien. Mmmm. Sur son visage glisse une larme, mais ses yeux se sont éteints.

The bolded words are those I had some difficulty understanding for some reason. Now maybe that's due to your low tone, too. Otherwise, it's pretty good. There's no particular problem that I can pinpoint.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Am I a lost cause or something, that no one seems to give any comments/corrections on my last two recordings? ;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Do you think so? I was thinking of the oral conversation as more of a, well, conversation thread rather than recitation thread, but now I suppose we could both recite and discuss...

Imperfacundus

Reprobatissimus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I mean, we could pick an existing recording or two from there to comment on, if you want. I feel it'd be more natural this way- you know, our spontaneous words, not some dead guy's.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, ok. Well, yes, why not. I'm not too sure which, though.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Any optimal duration for a recording? That would already reduce the range of choices.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I was about to start a new thread, but it appears someone had already created one on this subject!

Here's a sample of my English; I'm going for something like General American, but as you'll see, it's not terribly consistent, and I think my vowels are all over the place. Also, I wonder how intelligible I am. I know my American coworker doesn't always understand what I'm saying, maybe because I'm a sloppy English speaker (at least in actual conversation, as opposed to reading a Wikipedia article).

I would record things in other languages as well, but I don't think I've seen Spanish/European Portuguese/Japanese native speakers among the regulars here so it might be of limited interest. I might try Italian at some point, but my pronunciation is pretty bad I think.
I think I can hear the Frenchness. Well, I couldn't even pinpoint where it comes from since you sound much better than the stereotypical French speaker trying to speak English (the R, the stress, etc.), but it sounds familiar. Maybe the vowel qualities.
That said, agreed, stress is annoying :/

Attachments

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thank you! :D

It seems to me your pronunciation changed? I don't hear the Frenchness here. Nice pronunciation!
Also, you look younger than you sound haha

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It seems to me your pronunciation changed?
There are three years between my last post on this old thread and that recording so I made a bit of progress in the meantime.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I made a bit
Quite a bit yes. I'm not a native obviously, and I'm not really used to the British accent, but that does sounds really good to me.