Methodos (Ex. 1:11)

Kuba26

non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris

I found the following phrase in a textbook and I was wondering whether my translation is quite accurate. (N.B. I have not bothered with the diacritics here.)

Ισως μεν δυνατον εστιν επιστασθαι το της του θεου αρχαιας χωρας ονομα, ...

My attempt: "Maybe, on the one hand, it is possible to know the name of the god's country of origin, ..."

Kuba26

non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris

Thanks! I was just reviewing some stuff, and even though I was pretty sure about this translation, it's nice to have it confirmed.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Kuba26, out of curiosity, are you learning on your own or in a class? What textbook are you using?

(I'm studying Ancient Greek at the moment as well -- we used Athenaze this year but for the summer (I'm tackling Intermediate-level Greek on my own) I've switched to Mastronarde, which I find is a lot more rigorous and systematic in how it covers material, though certainly more challenging as well.)

Kuba26

non sum dignus

• Civis Illustris

I'm studying Greek and Latin on my own (the order of that changes every week), so this forum is a tremendous help!

For Greek, I use Hansen & Quinn's Greek: An Intensive Course, which is no misnomer; and also Methodos, an old Dutch secondary school textbook I once picked up: as opposed to many other textbooks, it allows the student to start reading right from the start and contains a lot of interesting (mainly made-up/adapted) texts about life in Ancient Greece.

As for Latin, I have used Oulton's So You Really Want To Learn Latin, which is great fun, but contains no real texts; therefore, I have shelved Oulton halfway through and have started working with Ørberg's Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, which is an absolutely terrific albeit no-safety-net read!