Collaboration on 15C book translation

James Allegeo

I'm an academic and historian of Colonial America who is looking to make contact with an expert in Latin to collaborate with me on an edited, annotated translation of a brief 15C book about the shape of the earth. This person must have (or be well on their way to acquiring) a PHD in Classics, etc.

Is this the right forum to seek out such a person?

Do scholars of Latin have a professional network similar to H-Net where I can post such a request?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Your project sounds very interesting, James.

Would the expert you're looking for need to have a knowledge of colonial America, or is it the candidate's Latin translation skills you're chiefly after?

How long exactly is the book you're working on, i.e. how many words?
This person must have (or be well on their way to acquiring) a PHD in Classics, etc.
There are a number of members of our forum who have first or higher degrees in Classics. You need to be aware, however, that although some of these members are strong Latinists they are not all automatically competent Latinists merely by virtue of their qualifications; some of them, in fact, visit our site quite regularly and obtain expert assistance with deciphering or translating Latin documents from people who have few or no formal qualifications in the subject but are considerably more competent Latinists than they are.

Experts in all sorts of subjects can be, and often have been, reared outside the confines of university departments.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I think you would be better off looking for someone by level of skill than by number of degrees. A good start might be to find someone who has a track record of publishing translations of mediaeval books...