Inflection in Latin

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You have to look up the word you need in a dictionary and see what exists and what the usage was.

ajp120

Why are participle endings given as such: amätürus, -a, -um? And not just -turus?

At first, I assumed the -a and -um would be respective case endings added on, but that would include the rest of the cases nor, would it make sense of the fact that they are declined after after having the participle added to the stem, anyways.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Adjectives are always given as the masculine, feminine, and neuter nominative singular

magnus, -a, -um
pulcher, -ra, -rum
celer, celeris, celere

ajp120

For "What did you send?":

Is this correct?:
Quid tu misisti?

Does "did" need to even be translated?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Quid, not quis. Quis is who.
"Tu" is unnecessary unless special emphasis is being placed on the word "you".

So
Quid misisti? (Perhaps "misisti" would be syncopated to "misti" in common speech, but that's not really important now)

ajp120

Quid, not quis. Quis is who.
"Tu" is unnecessary unless special emphasis is being placed on the word "you".

So
Quid misisti? (Perhaps "misisti" would be syncopated to "misti" in common speech, but that's not really important now)

So mis- is the present stem of mittere?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Mis is the perfect stem because "mis-isti" is perfect tense. The present stem is "mitt(e)-"

ajp120

How does does it become "mis" as the perfect stem from mittere? I couldn't figure that out.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Ok. Then yes.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

How does does it become "mis" as the perfect stem from mittere? I couldn't figure that out.
I'm not sure. Generally for third conjugation verbs the best strategy is just to memorize.

Here's my best guess: many third conjugation verbs add an -s to get the perfect stem. But mitts- was hard to pronounce so it got contracted.

ajp120

Just out of curiosity, why isn't it translated as "What sent you?" instead of "What did you send"

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Just out of curiosity, why isn't it translated as "What sent you?" instead of "What did you send"
Probably because "What sent you" (1) sounds incredibly archaic, and (2) could be misinterpreted, as Modern English has lost most of its case endings, as "What thing (nominative) sent you (accusative)"?

ajp120

Probably because "What sent you" (1) sounds incredibly archaic, and (2) could be misinterpreted, as Modern English has lost most of its case endings, as "What thing (nominative) sent you (accusative)"?

Quid misisti? <------- so misisti directly translates closer to "you sent?"

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

yes

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

English and Latin just work differently here, in that English uses auxiliary/supporting verbs in questions (do, did, etc. in addition to the "important" verb that contains the crucial information), whereas Latin doesn't. Same thing in negative sentences; English says "doesn't", "didn't", etc. in addition to the "important verb", while Latin uses no such supporting verbs.

So in Latin you say:

Quid misisti?
Misistine litteras?
Non misi litteras.

Which are, more or less word for word:

What sent you?
Sent you the letter?
I sent not the letter.

But of course in normal contemporary English the translations will be:

What did you send?
Did you send the letter?
I didn't send the letter.

ajp120

Thanks to the above help!

Also, another inquiry:
Et factum est ita

Factum is acting as a verbal adjective, I can intuitively assume, but I cannot reverse engineer how it was formed from facere, and parse it to be PPP, accusative supine, or something else +um that makes a verb into an adjective.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Factum is here the PPP in the neuter singular nominative. Together with present forms of the verb esse, the PPP forms the perfect passive; like here factum est = literally "it-is having-been-done" = "it was done" or "it has been done".

The form factum can also be the accusative supine, but it isn't that here.

ajp120

Thanks!

Also, does the preposition "ad" follow the same adaptive rules as "ab" preceding a consonant or vowel? E.g. "ab oris" vs "a terra."