Peculiarities of English, expressly for the edification of foreigners

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Those little things that non-native speakers might not be aware of.

The term of endearment 'old bean' amongst men is rather dated and Wodehousian, but its female equivalent, 'old bat', is alive and well. Using it when in pubs will ensure a smile with your drink.

The initial diphthong in Euston (as in Station) is pronounced like the EU in Freud.

Feel free to ad your own tips of this kind.

Lysandra

Canis

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Those little things that non-native speakers might not be aware of.

The term of endearment 'old bean' amongst men is rather dated and Wodehousian, but its female equivalent, 'old bat', is alive and well. Using it when in pubs will ensure a smile with your drink.

The initial diphthong in Euston (as in Station) is pronounced like the EU in Freud.

Feel free to ad your own tips of this kind.
Haha, I just came across 'old bean' last night while reading The Code of the Woosters. :D

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I've been to Euston many times and know numerous Londoners, but have never heard the diphthong pronounced as it is in Freud, unless you pronounce Freud like I've never heard it pronounced either.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Haha, I just came across 'old bean' last night while reading The Code of the Woosters. :D
I've come upon it rather frequently on this forum, thanks to The Kenosha Kid.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I'm not sure if 'righteous' is an adjective that should be associated with someone who would mislead hapless students of English, as Aurifex does at #3. I fear he may be the unscrupulous type who would deny that the local pronunciation of Loughborough is Loogabarooga.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

It's bollocks. = It's not good.
It's the bollocks. = It's great!
It's the dog's bollocks! = It's superlatively good.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Perhaps six more to add, Tel.

Bollocks = strength ie "He has some bollocks".
Bollocks = lies ie "A load of bollocks"
Bollocks = negation ie "Bollocks to it!"
Bollocks = privates ie "Jeez mate! Recup your Dunlop shorts, ya' b ......are hanging out!"

Bollocked = told off ie "Tommy received a bollocking for his prank."
Bollocked = broken ie "Forget it, it's bollocked".

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I've never heard several of those.

Hawkwood

• Civis

I suppose we could replace bollocks for balls and most would still work. That said I wouldn't be surprised if some of these are terms applied locally to me thus not known to all brits, dunno.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Ah, another one.

Bollocksed = tired ie "After ambling through many a-hill and meadow on one of Britain's hottest ever days, Brian finally succumb to the heat and collapsed from exhaustion, he was bollocksed."

Now is it bollocks'd or bollocksed. Only a brit can answer this I suspect.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Bollocksed = tired ie "After ambling through many a-hill and meadow on one of Britain's hottest ever days, Brian finally succumb to the heat and collapsed from exhaustion, he was bollocksed."
Excellent. :hysteric:

I think you've got some talent, you know.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't think the hyphen has anything to do there, though. Also, you meant "succumbed".

Hawkwood

• Civis

Brian was bollocksed (tired) through Tina's constant verbal attacks belittling the size of his boll####. He finally snapped, bollocks to her (enough!) he thought then shouted "Bollocks!" (f-off!) and marched out the front door. Tina thought: "O bollocks (o no) what have I done!" (and was now regretting her outburst) especially since she liked him when he showed some bollocks (manliness) but too late now as their relationship was now bollocksed (broken) and besides, Brian was sick of the bollockings (beratings) from her especially when everything she said was a load of bollocks (lies) anyway.

Just an example of some of the different meanings to be had.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

And this thread has been bollocksed because people haven't been posting bollocks.

Fascinating use of asterisks. Reminds me of the apocryphal story of the defendant.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I'm not sure if 'righteous' is an adjective that should be associated with someone who would mislead hapless students of English, as Aurifex does at #3. I fear he may be the unscrupulous type who would deny that the local pronunciation of Loughborough is Loogabarooga.
Sounds like something out of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Bollocks = strength ie "He has some bollocks".

That usage is new to me.

I have another.

Bollock = a mark or swelling on the body caused by the impact of a blow. e.g. After Jessie threw the tin of beans at him, Billy had a bollock on his forehead the size of a duck egg.