grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

Maybe:

Cum timore accedit animus.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

If the OP lives in an English-speaking country, I'm wary of including that first word (for a tattoo). But maybe I'm overestimating the immature, though expected, reaction of most.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, right, I quite forgot about that... Well, an alternative (among many others, surely) might be:

Timore crescit animus: with fear increases courage.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

If the OP lives in an English-speaking country, I'm wary of including that first word (for a tattoo).
With regard to this, most of the world is probably an English-speaking country.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

With regard to this, most of the world is probably an English-speaking country.
I'm not sure this particular word is internationally so well-known among non-English-speakers. Here most people who otherwise don't know English know "shit" and "fuck", many also know "ass" and "dick", but I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention "cum".

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Animus per timorem should work, though I don't see a problem with Pacifica's second suggestion, timore crescit animus.

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

There is no Latin word that quite tranſlates to 'courage'. 'Animus' is a frequent attempt, but really has ſo much wider a range of meanings, as to be better tranſlated as 'ſpirit'. 'Virtus' might alſo be a good attempt, but alſo has too wide a range of meaning.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I do believe that the context we have here (the mention of fear and animus growing greater through it) suffices to make the meaning clear. Virtus indeed also is a possibility.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

There's also fortitudo (for the contrast).

Maybe even something like fortis/fortiter timeo. ('Brave(ly) I fear.')

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I'm not sure this particular word is internationally so well-known among non-English-speakers. Here most people who otherwise don't know English know "shit" and "fuck", many also know "ass" and "dick", but I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention "cum".
I suppose my vague impression that it would be known was based on the early days of internet spam, when you'd get masses of emails promising X-rated content with simple words presumably designed for an international audience. So I tried to check my memory by looking at a random spam folder, but of course everything's more sophisticated now, and there don't seem to be any rude words, not even creatively spelt to avoid spam filters.

Abbatiſſæ Scriptor

Senex

• Civis Illustris

If the OP lives in an English-speaking country, I'm wary of including that first word (for a tattoo). But maybe I'm overestimating the immature, though expected, reaction of most.
'Cum', is a very familiar Latin word. It ſeen in many ſet phraſes, and some indeed miſborrow it into Engliſh as a ſort of conjunction when double naming things that ſerve two alternate functions.
This benign, if ungrammatical uſe is at leaſt as familiar as the vulgar homonym. I would not worry.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

'Cum', is a very familiar Latin word. It ſeen in many ſet phraſes, and some indeed miſborrow it into Engliſh as a ſort of conjunction when double naming things that ſerve two alternate functions.
This benign, if ungrammatical uſe is at leaſt as familiar as the vulgar homonym. I would not worry.
In the US at least, this isn't the case at all.