Your linguistic disasters

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

I love how the X is right through the relevant section of the guy's anatomy, LOL. :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

That struck me as well, so much so in fact that I was confused for a moment, thinking the sign was really meant to say something about erection, except I didn't quite understand why the body part in question was crossed.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It would be referring to salted pig trotters. In Cantonese it is a slang term for the hand of a pervert. Not sure about Mandarin.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Ninja'd by Etaoin. Groping pervert might be a better translation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Because people are not allowed to enter and use whatever it is.
Yes, I get it now, but at first I was confused because, as Callaina said, that particular part of the anatomy seemed to be crossed, lol.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Apparently, engrish.com is no more.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

No warning too.

It just disappeared.

LVXORD

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I have a few thoughts about Arabic.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I came across a funny mistranslation in Arabic:

The Arabic here transliterates literally to /miːt buːl/ in IPA, which is an attempt at representing the sound of "meat ball" in Arabic letters. But, the phrase ميت بول would more normally mean "Paul is dead", being pronounced "mayit bul" ("mayit" means "dead" and "bul" is Arabic's best rendering of "Paul").

Also "qalbi" is common term of endearment in Arabic, meaning "my heart", but it is very similar in pronunciation to "kalbi", which means "my dog", an insult. I'm not sure if native Arabic speakers confuse the two ever, but I imagine it is a mistake that Arabic learners make (like myself).

Likewise, "tawila"(/taːwila/) meaning "table" is similar to "tawila" (/ta'wiːl/), the feminine adjective meaning "tall". I have in the past called a woman a table by accident, when I meant to call her tall.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I came across a funny mistranslation in Arabic:

The Arabic here transliterates literally to /miːt buːl/ in IPA, which is an attempt at representing the sound of "meat ball" in Arabic letters. But, the phrase ميت بول would more normally mean "Paul is dead", being pronounced "mayit bul" ("mayit" means "dead" and "bul" is Arabic's best rendering of "Paul").
I've seen the picture with "Paul is dead" before but never the reason for the mistranslation. Very interesting!

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

This made me google to see what happened to the original 'Paul is dead' conspiracy theorists. For those who don't remember the Sixties, either because they were there or they weren't, someone came up with the idea that Paul McCartney of the Beatles had died and been replaced by a double. There are some still knocking about, it seems. I never knew back then why anyone would bother, and can't tell you now, but perhaps someone might like to wade through this and report back: https://the-wakeup-call.com/viewtopic.php?t=52&start=40

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

engrish.com is back up!

Jiacheng Liu

Here is a terrible one

The time I was learning English I had to basically memorize like hundreds of words per day because I just got to the US for Middle school and I barely understood a 2nd grader. Relying on such vocabulary would be an disaster, even though I was only 14. But as I attempted to memorize vocabs beyond my brain’s maximum capacity, words start to get messed up. Unfortunately, I was mistaking two words that I should not be.

They are “erupt” and “ejaculate”

One day I saw a news written in Chinese about a volcano “eruption.” I showed the picture to some of my friends. I said in English: “Hey! Here’s a volcano ejaculation”

You can now imagine the rest of the story with me justifying: “Yes! The volcano did ejaculate!”