Let It Go, My Love

mototina

Hi, I am looking to get this phrase translated: "Let it go, my love". I have done an online search, and come up with "Amitto Amica Mea", although I'm sure it is not correct because I looked up "Let it Go" and then "My Love", and just tacked them together. I'm looking to get this phrase tattooed, and I really don't want to get it wrong.
I also read somewhere that often Latin phrases can be translated in several different ways: is this true?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I also read somewhere that often ___ phrases can be translated in several different ways: is this true?
This applies to any language.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'd say

Istud mittito mea cara.

That thing (by you), send it off (for the future), my dear one.

The verb is future imperative singular. Present would be mitte.

The verb mitto can have just the meaning you want.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

You could also use omittito instead of mittito.

Also, mea cara doesn't seem to be attested in Latin before 200 AD (I did a search on the PHI Latin Texts website for mea cara and cara mea and neither had any results). I'd prefer something authentic like meae deliciae or mea voluptas (both found in Plautus among others)

mototina

I'd say

Istud mittito mea cara.

That thing (by you), send it off (for the future), my dear one.

The verb is future imperative singular. Present would be mitte.

The verb mitto can have just the meaning you want.

Thank you so much for this! If I want to use the present tense, and take out "that thing (by you), would then it be "Mitte Mea Cara"? Does that make sense, or does it need that object (Istud)?

mototina

You could also use omittito instead of mittito.

Also, mea cara doesn't seem to be attested in Latin before 200 AD (I did a search on the PHI Latin Texts website for mea cara and cara mea and neither had any results). I'd prefer something authentic like meae deliciae or mea voluptas (both found in Plautus among others)

Hi Dantius, I am not sure what you mean, are you saying that mea cara, isn't applicable? Or are you saying that it isn't ancient Latin (before the date 200AD)? What do you mean by authentic? Ancient? Maybe there is something I am missing about this, does Latin after this date not count as authentic?
Also can you tell me exactly what mean deliciae and mea voluptas mean? Do they both mean "My love"?
Thanks for breaking this down for me.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thank you so much for this! If I want to use the present tense, and take out "that thing (by you), would then it be "Mitte Mea Cara"? Does that make sense, or does it need that object (Istud)?

Well that looks a little ambiguous to me: "Dismiss, my love." It could be taken as "Send (me) away" or "Forget about (this thing that I am giving you).

You might want something more along the lines of "Be free." Esto libera.

I prefer to accept a wider range of Latinity than Dantius does.

Cara mea / Mea cara = my dear one
Carissima = my dearest
Amata mea = my beloved one
Amatissima = most beloved

mototina

You might want something more along the lines of "Be free." Esto libera.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I appreciate your help.

It looks like my choices could be: Istud Mitte, Cara Mea or Esto Libera, Amata Mea. Do these sound correct for what I'm trying to say: "Let it go, My love" as in let go of worries/bad sentiments/etc, and "my love" being myself?
Thank you.