Date: februarii ........ quadragesimo

Incunable

Hello,

I'm considering buying an old scroll (see attached pictures). According to the seller, it's from 1240. As you can see, the quality of the writing is not great (well, not too bad if it really has almost 800 years!). One picture is the full document. The other picture is a detail of the area where I believe is the date. It looks something like "februarii .... quadragesimo". But I cannot read / understand what it says in between. Can you take a look and see if you can? And translate?

Thank you very much!!!

Attachments

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The photo isn't particularly clear but to me it looks like anno domini millesimo sescentesimo quadragesimo ?
which would be 164?
I can't quite read the word before nonas, but it might be pridie which would be the 4th feb

If you gave us a better photo we could give you a clearer idea.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It may well start with a sentence containing the name of the king at that time.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It does look like An' D'ni M'0 CC Quadragesimo to me, ie Anno Domini 1000+200+40 = 1240, so I agree with the seller.

Westcott

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The opening words are
Nov[er]int universi Q[uo]d Ego Omellon[?] ...
Know all men that I, Omellon[?] ...
Can hardly read anything after that! I agree Februarii.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It does look like An' D'ni M'0 CC Quadragesimo to me, ie Anno Domini 1000+200+40 = 1240, so I agree with the seller.
Yes I see where I went wrong, the two CCs are run together and I mistook the first as a D.