Tattoo thank you for teaching me how to love unconditionally

fransonyque

please i need help to translate it into proper latin​
reason why i don't write it as: "thank for you have taught me how to love unconditionally" is because i'd like to emphasize 'teaching' as an ongoing process​
i really appreciate any suggestion offered, thank you all in advance​

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

reason why i don't write it as: "thank for you have taught me how to love unconditionally" is because i'd like to emphasize 'teaching' as an ongoing process
Do you mean that the person in question is still teaching you how to love unconditionally? More like "thank you for the fact that you are teaching me..." as opposed to "have taught"?

fransonyque

something like that

i'd like to keep remember that the moments we shared together shall still teach me even though we're no longer on the same realm

welp, english is not my native language, so hopefully you understand what i mean

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

What's your native language?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah... I don't know those languages at all so there's no help to be gotten from there in my case.

Let me just make two suggestions:

Gratias tibi ago quod me absolute amare doces = "Thank you for teaching me (in the present) how to love unconditionally."

Gratias tibi ago quod me absolute amare docuisti = "Thank you for teaching me (in the past) how to love unconditionally."

These are the only two options that sound at all likely or natural in Latin, regarding tenses. Hopefully one of them will suit you.

There's another tricky thing in this translation, though, and that is the word "unconditionally". Wait and see if any other forum members have an opinion about my word choice here.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

absolūtē works well.
The closest thing I can find attested is grātīs dīligere.
Augustine has quōs utique amīcōs grātīs dīligēbam vicissimque ab eīs mē dīligī grātīs sentiēbam.
cf. Cicero (Dē Fīn.): Hoc foedus facere sī potuērunt, faciant etiam illud, ut aequitātem, modestiam, virtūtēs omnēs per sē ipsās grātīs dīligant.

fransonyque

Ah... I don't know those languages at all so there's no help to be gotten from there in my case.
lol, thought so

There's another tricky thing in this translation, though, and that is the word "unconditionally". Wait and see if any other forum members have an opinion about my word choice here.

umm, what do you mean by this?

just to make it clearer, unconditional love i mentioned here is more like a greek term: agape.

i truly appreciate all suggestions offered :hat: friends

hi all, what if i change it to this:

thank you, for teaching me sincere / pure love ?

thank you so much again in advance

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

umm, what do you mean by this?
I meant that I had some doubts how to translate the word "unconditionally".
hi all, what if i change it to this:

thank you, for teaching me sincere / pure love ?

thank you so much again in advance
Gratias tibi ago quod me amorem sincerum doces/docuisti.

Like last time, doces is for "teaching" in the present and docuisti for "teaching" in the past.

fransonyque

I meant that I had some doubts how to translate the word "unconditionally?".
a friend, a priest, who used to study in Rome for several years has also told me just last night, that it's quite a challenge to find suitable translation fo that particular word, lol

okay, Pacifica, thank you so much for you have generously spent some time n effort to help this lost stranger see a flickr of hope

i think i'll take the last translation you offered :agree2:

btw, i like your quote of macbeth; we are all just walking shadows, aren't we?

peace be with us, always

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think absolute amare is fine. Also purissime amare might work, given the meaning:

[L&S, purus in superlative:] 2. In partic., jurid., unconditionally, simply, absolutely : aliquid legare, Dig. 8, 2, 35: contrahi, ib. 18, 2, 4; 39, 2, 22 fin. ; 26, 2, 11; Gai. Inst. 1, 186.​

Or you might make a compound to carry the core idea: purissime et sanctissime amare.

L&S: "sanctē (acc. to B.), solemnly, conscientiously, scrupulously, religiously, with holy awe, etc. / also chastely

fransonyque

@ syntaxianus: wow, didn't think i would get another suggestion... thank you so much, that's amazing.

so, is it okay if i put it this way: gratias tibi ago quod me purissime et sanctissime amare doces?

just found out about your reply today so, sorry for the late respond :redface:

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You are very welcome. Your formulation seems quite correct to me.

doces = you teach
docuisti = you have taught